1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered 3D Printing Newbie

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adepino, May 9, 2015.

1. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

If you are targeting a temperature higher than the maximums allowed by the firmware that will happen. The bed is limited to 85 and the extruder to 245 I think. So in practical terms you can really only set these to like 83 and 243 respectively as they will overshoot and trigger that shutdown.

2. adepino

adepino Member

Can anyone tell me what this is for? When first set up the printer, it was loose, and I tightened it before I ever printed anything, but I don't know what direction it should be facing, it spins when loose. Also, when I rub my fingers down the threaded Z-rod I can feel "pits" in the threads, in a couple places on each one. As if the threads are worn down in those places... just one full thread in each location, not an entire section or anything...

Attached Files:

3. adepino

adepino Member

Ok thats what happened then, I put the bed at 90C. Ive been reading How-to's, and I've seen multiple articles that say ABS is good with a bed temp between 80-110 so I thought 90 would be ok to try. Thanks

4. Stephen Capistron

That part holds the ribbon cable for the bed.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is irrelevant -- the threaded rods only push UP. If you look at the carriage you can see they only provide lift so wobble is not a real problem*. The SMOOTH RODS hold the carriage in place and do need support top/bottom.

*it would need to be really warped for the wobble to be a large impact. Mine wobble at the top and I get really nice prints.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Modify your firmware if you want to increase the max. If you have the ribbon cable bed connector you should be OK.

7. adepino

adepino Member

Is there a certain type of lubricant used on the rods? the smooth Z-rods feel dry.

8. adepino

adepino Member

:( This is beginning to drive me nuts... Ever since that magnet came off and I re-glued it back on, now nothing will stick to the bed. Im not sure if the bed is just not level or the nozzle is too far away...Ive tried re-calibrating the auto level 4-5 times and every time, the first layer doesn't want to stick. The nozzle seems to be too far away from the bed right before it begins laying the first layer down. Ive messed with the M565 Z-# from -1.0 to -.3 and nothing helps.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I like lithium lube. Other have their own preferences.

You can go closer to the bed with the numbers.
    more negative -> further from the bed.

Make it less negative in small increments.

10. Stephen Capistron

Sil glyde is also a good lubricant, it is rubber / plastic safe.

Are you doing the three point Matter Control level procedure? If so, stop. Does the nozzle make contact with the bed in all nine locations when it goes to autolevel?

11. adepino

adepino Member

Yea I've been using the 3 point level system, i thought that was required in order to get it calibrated for the auto level. So what makes it auto level without the 3 point calibration with the sheet of paper? Do I need to un-check a box somewhere? And yes the 9 points appear to all be touching, but when it starts laying filament, it raises the nozzle to approx. 1/8" off the bed, so the material just goes everywhere and turns into a big blob...

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What do you have set for the Z offset?

13. adepino

adepino Member

Hmm, i don't see a setting that "says" z-offset... this is all i could find. of course this is the matter control cura engine. i downloaded the cura software from their site, but it was much different, and i wasn't sure i should swap.

Attached Files:

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can't help you with MC, but if I understand correctly with the Cura engine you are required to modify the startup GCode to add the autoleveling support (and Z offset).

15. Stephen Capistron

Somewhere in mattercontrol there used to be a box that said "enable software auto leveling". Uncheck that. As someone once put, it is like wearing a hat on top of a hat.

Somewhere under the advanced settings is where you can change the Z-offset. I have not used mattercontrol in several months. The regulars around here are not a fan of it.

16. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

General
    Size and Coordinates

Z Offset: This value will be added to all of the z positions of the created gcode.

This is where the z offset is located. I think by default it is 1 (not positive on that though). Most likely you will want to go to .8 or something along those lines. You can go as small as .01 increments if you would like. If I were using Mattercontrol mine currently would be .61

17. adepino

adepino Member

I had been messing around with that number since the first guy told me about it in my original posting. For the last several prints its been at z-0.4 :( thats lower than what everyone has suggested, so I'm afraid to go much lower. but its still raised off the bed about 1/8 like i mentioned before...

EDIT: Ok right after i posted this, the next print i did, magically closed the gap and stuck to the bed... i have no clue what happened, maybe it had to do with un-checking that "hardware leveling" box...now I'm back to trying to get the quality of the print better :)

#37 adepino, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  18. Stephen Capistron

19. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I would just go the Cura route to be honest. Mattercontrol is horrible for lots of reasons. If you need help setting it up you can go to the shoutbox and we can help you right away. Someone is almost always on that will be able to walk you through it.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Maybe just MC being, well, MC.