1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3mm filament?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Marcus T, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Has anyone attempted to use 3mm filament with the Robo 3D R1? I'm curious to know if this will work, and if not what upgrades are needed to make it work. Thanks in advance for any information.

2. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

3mm hotend and an extruder that will work with 3mm filament

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think the stock greg's wade extruder would work fine with 3mm. Just need to swap the hexagon hot end with a 3mm version

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I am curious why you would want to use 3mm filament?

5. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

I was just curious. Looking at other 3D printing forums, there seems to be no determinable difference between one size or the other. Unless I wanted to use a bowden type extruder drive. Apparently the flexible filament works better in a bowden if it's 3mm instead of 1.75mm.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

3mm hot end does work well on ROBO 3D. It is the bed way to print flexible filaments like ninja flex. The guys at ROBO3D have a printer with a 3mm nozzle that they print flexible prints on. I am going to buy a all metal 3mm hot end for one of my ROBO's just to run flexible material. You can run it on 1.75 and it works ok. I even have ran filaflex which is softer than Ninja flex on 1.75 nozzle

Mike Kelly likes this.
  7. supinemonkey

supinemonkey New Member

I would like to try printing with 3mm too. Any firmware mods necessary or just the change in my slicer settings? Thanks!

8. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

All you will need to do is install a 3mm hot end.

9. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Change you filament size in slicer goes without saying. I just tried out another brand of 3d printer (not to be named here) that uses 3mm\ 2.85mm filalment. I wasn't impressed the 3mm filament was hard to keep on the spool and harder to manipulate due to its thickness. I also put this greater than $2500 machine to side by side test with ROBO and no contest... Robo Rocks even when compared to expensive machine.