1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered A couple of questions from a Newbie

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

This is eSun (inland). I put it at 190 and am printing again. We'll see how it turns out.

2. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Well it looks like the stringing was fixed by reducing the temp to 190 from 195. I also made sure the fan was on at 100%. Last time it was on at 50%. Have to check why it didn't come on full in settings.

I am still getting a little scarring from the nozzle. I increased the Z-lift by a slight amount. Should I lift it more or am I adjusting the wrong setting?

3. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

I had a similar issue (first layer looked exactly like that) and my fix was to install a new nozzle. Must have been partially clogged. I noticed when I would extrude filament in the air, it would curl up and touch the outside of the nozzle. With the new nozzle, it extrudes straight down never touching the outside of the nozzle.

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Another option would be to invest in some extruder cleaner filament. Unless you have a physical issue like a gouge with the nozzle or a nightmare of a clog, then this filament is great for keeping the flow reliable. I use <100mm or so every so often and will do about <50mm when doing some filament changes to make sure the old is out. It helps with going from black to white and not getting the bits in the next print. The roll I got last year still has a lot left and just gives me a bit of insurance/confidence that the hotend isn't clogged.

https://printedsolid.com/products/extruder-cleaning-filament

5. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Ryan and Dan. I actually bought some of the cleaning filament the other day so I'll try using it tonight. That said, I am fairly certain my nozzle is flowing fine, I get a nice straight even line of filament extruded. I switch rolls of filament to another color last night - same manufacturer, and it was very stringy. I ended up reducing temps to about 186 which got rid of them and printed fine, but I am worried that printing that low will affect the durability - and cause it to be brittle. Am I off base here?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is extruding smoothly, you are fine.
    Every spool potentially is different for the best extrusion temperature.

danzca6 likes this.
  7. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

So as long as it is extruding smoothly I don't have to worry about the temp being so low it causes brittleness - correct?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Different filaments behave differently, but for PLA (or even ABS) if it is extruding smoothly it is good. If you have issue with layers not bonding, that is not always a heat related issue. For those two filament types you should always try to extrude at the lowest temperature that gives you good extrusion. Other filament types (particularly nylon) are very different and in their case stringing can happen because you are too cold. Not ABS or PLA.

#68 mark tomlinson, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  9. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Perfect, thanks Mark!