1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A couple quick questions from a new owner / user

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Woodrow Collins, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Woodrow Collins

Woodrow Collins New Member

So last week I picked up one of the Robo 3D R1 Plus's along with the XYZ 1.0 AIO to try out 3D printing. I must say the Robo 3D has worked with out hitch right out the box (as compared to the "other guy"). With all my research about 3D printing I was not expecting it to work that way at all. So I have to hand it to the people making the machine. Good job...

Now for the questions.
    I noticed that no matter if I check the box in Mattercontrol to print the raft or not print the raft, the raft is still printed. Does anyone know if this is an issue with the software or is it something that the group here required? Im using the version from this site and according to the update check its up to date even though on the Mattercontrol's site there is a newer version available. I haven't really ran into any other issue's with things other than that so far so I wasn't in any kind of rush to try the newer version (assuming it can be used).

And the second question is about the lights in the frame. Is there any reason they have to be on? I didnt see any type of toggle switch to turn them off but if there is no reason for them to be on and it wouldnt cause the machine to just stop printing I may throw me a switch in the machine to toggle the lights on and off unless some one else gives a reason why that may be a bad idea?

Thanks.

2. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Sorry can't answer on matter control.

As for the LEDs feel free to add a switch it was likely a cost saving measure not to have one.

3. Sonny's Robo3D

If you have raft checked off, it shouldn't print a raft. That is very odd. Got a pic? Also what do you have for skirts? (loops, distance from object, extrusion length) I ask cause maybe the skirt has a lot of loops, long extrusion length and printing close to the object so it's kinda looks like a raft.

4. janot928

janot928 Active Member

maybe try to switch to cura for the raft problem

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

6. Woodrow Collins

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Fall season is the season for sports for the children in my house and I don't get a lot of time to put towards things.

So attached is an image of the first layer that gets put down. I thought it was a raft but being new to this maybe I am wrong. I have the raft checkbox unchecked. Ill have to get the other settings you ask for. But before we go to far down the rabbit hole I want to make sure I am using the correct terminology. What you see in the picture (the first layer with rather wider layer lines) is a raft correct?

Edit:
    Also prior to the picture here I've always used glue to stick the print to the base. This is my first attempt in using painters tape. Seeing as I am using PLA filament I believe it should be fine to use tape. ABS would probably be a different story.

Attached Files:

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks a little high. Reduce the Z offset a smidge

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

"That's no moon"*

That is a fairly normal looking layer 1. But as @Mike Kelly suggested it might be a tad high. Can't tell from that angle.

*I don't see a raft there.

9. Woodrow Collins

Well if thats the case, then great! I'll tinker with the z offset but the prints after that layer always come out good to me. I don't see any horizontal banding or anything after that layer (unlick my xyz). And that first layer always seems to peal away.

Thanks for the help guys.

#9 Woodrow Collins, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then maybe there is nothing wrong ?