1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer ABS Benchy

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Disturbinglee, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to print a benchy with ABS, I know there are better filaments out there but I am trying to get better at printing with it since it is so cheap.
    The benchy fully prints but is not very great quality
    I am printing in an enclosure, on PET tape with abs juice so it has no problem adhering to the bed.
    Printing at .2 mm layer height as this is the height I want to fine tune
    4 top layers
    3 bottom layers
    3 shells
    10% infill (the less infill the better)
    No supports
    Bed temp 105
    Extruder temp 235
    No cooling
    38 mm/s

Sliced with S3D
    Printed on R1+

Any suggestions?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks very very hot. Depending on the ABS I've had it extrude as cold as 215 (not real abs) and all the way up to 260 with modified versions. You may want to do a temperature tower and find the optimal temperature then you'll start modifying the speeds. The plastic still has to cool so you'll need a minimum layer time so it can. A balance of speed and heat :D

Disturbinglee likes this.
  3. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

This is how the temperature test came out.. not so good.. Best results fur bridging at 235 but still not good.
    Any tips? Would it help if I included the factory file? I feel like I'm missing something somewhere

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes please do. The more info you can give the better off we are. What brand ABS is it? Link to where you bought it?

5. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

The filament is MatterHackers new build series ABS Orange It wont let me upload the link because I am still new to the forum and I have not made 3 posts

And here is the Factory file.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

give this a shot. I really didn't change a whole bunch. Just a few things. out of curiousity if you set the extruder to 200, does it extrude well?

Attached Files:

7. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

I will try that when I get back tonight and I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for all your help!

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your welcome keep us posted, well get it figured out

9. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

It does extrude at 200, and it seems to extrude well at 200.. ill bring the temperature down by 20 at all of the layers, trying again now. It doesn't seem like 260 will work anyways.

10. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

So you know also, it appears as though the print head pulls on the edge of the triangle that supports the bridge as it is going by it. So maybe the Z offset is too close to the actual part? I don't know how I would adjust that though. But it seems to be why the supports for the bridges all get messed up.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm a bit thrown with the extrudes at 200. Do a quick test print at 210 and throw the cooling fans on. I'm wondering if they didn't mislabel your spool. I have not had ABS extrude that cold. Its possible they mixed up and turning on the cooling fans will either split the ABS (and then we have an idea of whats up) or make it look really decent and then we'll know its PLA. Do you have another material you can swap to to test to make sure its not the machine ? (I dont think it is from what I'm hearing)

12. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

I do have some other filament, I'll try printing at 210 first.
    Fan full speed?

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes please just for giggles. on your temp tower the lowest temp looked to hot still so I'm betting they mixed up labels. Could be wrong, have never used their "abs" but most abs has a smell (you know your printing with ABS). Something you can do is cut up some of the filament and drop in some acetone. If the filament disolves its an ABS variety but hard telling what one. If the "is it PLA" test fails I'd suggest returning that spool to the vendor you got it from.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

ABS is highly susceptible to warp and curl. Even a little bit will cause grief during the print since the layer heights are like ... fractions of a MM.

Geof likes this.
  15. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

So far it is printing a benchy fantastically at 210 with the fan at 100%
    It seems like it does dissolve in acetone but I do not have an extra glass jar to test a piece in so i dipped a piece of the brim from a print into my ABS juice and it dissolved within about 30 seconds with slight wiggling. So I would assume it is somewhat ABS..

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

very interesting. The fans should kill your print and cause delamination and warp. I suggest ditching that material and having them replace it. Matterhackers doesn't "make" their own filament, they rebrand other manufacturers and sell it, not a huge fan of not knowing what I'm getting (OEM spools will give you "rule of thumb" specs and the such that are more reliable than what Matterhackers does). Those are opinions ;)

17. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

It was going great till this happened. The base of it warped and came up so it does still have that property when cooled so much.
    But that makes sense. I will contact them.
    [​IMG]

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

very interesting that cooling fans helped the material. Very very odd. Yes get rid of that junk ;) lol. Get something you know exactly who and where its from. I imagine the build series is very low cost material which is great....if it works well :D. I tend to stick with ESUN ABS on my Robos. Prints well and reacts as expected. AMZ on amazon has some stuff I've used and it works well and is decent priced, like 16/kg or so. Not telling you what to do just offering an opinion :D

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I pinged them on twitter to try and find out who makes that material and added your benchy and temp towers. If we can figure out who made the material you can likely build a profile to use it, to much odd stuff for ABS (like fans improving print quality lol)

Disturbinglee likes this.
  20. Disturbinglee

Disturbinglee New Member

Okay I called matter hackers and he was shocked that it would print at 210 they're sending me a new roll.

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.