1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS Shrink

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by jdwykrent, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jdwykrent

jdwykrent New Member

I was wondering if someone could explain why I'm having so much trouble with ABS prints. I am getting a huge amount of shrinkage and lift.

Bed = 100c
    Nozzle = 240c

Using glue stick on the bed.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Try hairspray or ABS slurry.

Also print with a raft or a brim.

Be sure to block filament from cold air, preferably keep it away from air conditioning.

Don't run a cooling fan either.

2 people like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of the prophylactic measures are worth trying.
    You can minimize a lot of it.

If ABS is going to be a mainstay for you then consider the heated chamber style enclosure that @Printed Solid sells (that himself and @Mike Kelly designed).

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Right, taking a step beyond 'stay away from air conditioning' you have keep the build envelope as hot as you can. ABS has a really high coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE). That is the amount that it shrinks and grows when heated and cooled. It's that shrinking when cooling that gets you. The bottom of the print stays at 100C, but the further away from the bed you get, the closer to room temperature the print is. So, it tends to want to shrink more at the top than the bottom, which results in the warping and peeling.

The more material there is, the higher the forces are for the warping. So, larger models and higher infill models have more trouble.

CTE of PLA is much much lower, and the CTE of filled PLA (wood, carbon, bronze, etc) is even lower still, so those materials don't require a heated bed or heated environment.

5. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

ABS is designed to shrink, so that molded part would fall of the mold by its self.
    Printing ABS is a nightmare and i hate it.
    Its eazy to make abs filament and it comes out really fast with stable diameter, but i wish it would print as eazy.

Is there an ABS that prints like PLA ?
    I have some parts i want to print in material thats like ABS has some flexibility and does melt at low temps like PLA.

6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

There are definitely options for lower shrink higher temp filaments. colorFabb XT is one. There are a few people selling filled ABS that have reduced shrink as well.