1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by lanem747, Aug 5, 2014.

1. lanem747

lanem747 New Member

I've tried printing in ABS and the prints stick well with hairspray to my bed at 95c but I'm having issues getting the actual layers to stick. I once printed a skyscraper I designed ant the top half completely cracked and came of with light handling. Right now it would be impossible for me to even think about printing something with the simplest of support structures (the support comes off as well as any parts connected to it). I've tried printing the ABS at 210c, 220c, as well as 230c. The filament is only a month or so old and popped a little due to moisture but only for the first few inches extruded now it doesn't. The ABS is white filament from robo3d I received in Feb but only opened around June-July.

Anything would help (I'm out of PLA)

Thanks,

2. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Ive not used ABS, for good reason lol, and don't really plan on it. But I do know 210 and even 220 is low for ABS, 230 is much better.
    What layer height are you using? .3 tends to separate easier than lower layers if that is what you are trying.
    Could try and bump the flow rate up 5% and see if that helps as well.
    And no part cooling fan.

3. Krish

Krish Member

What speeds are you printing at and have you made sure to leave your cooling fan off? I was having similar issues if i printed above 80mm/sec and had the cooling fan on.

Now I print at 225c extruder temp, 90 or 95c deg bed temp with hairspray, a makeshift plastic cover to hold the heat in (made from that clear plastic table protector stuff), 80mm/sec and with cooling fan switch off.. It really depends on the print for your infil amount, my main print is thin so i do 90% fill which gives it really good strength.

4. lanem747

lanem747 New Member

im printing 0.2 at 40mm/sec but I had the fan on ill try it without

5. lanem747

lanem747 New Member

I print all sorts of things so I cant give an exact infill %
    I don't have any sort of cover but I have use paper taped over the printer to hide the print I could use it to keep the heat in

6. lanem747

lanem747 New Member

7. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, no fan for sure.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1) No Fan
    2) If you need supports, use Simplify3D
    3) High infill (90-100%) will be much stronger
    4) Run the bed hot.

I started off printing ABS and was able to manage pretty decent prints (and some fairly large ones) with acceptable results. But, the larger and flatter a piece is the harder it is is to control warp and get layer bonding to work right. Run the filament hotter (230+) and the bed hotter (100-110) and really slow travel speeds (<40).

It has been a long time since we printed any ABS though, there are so many other materials out there now (CF, PET, Nylon) all of which are decently strong and much lower warp. The Wood fill and Bronze fill -- oh, my.

2 people like this.