1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Acetone vapor bath effects on non-ABS filaments?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Gabe, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I'm looking for something that I can use the acetone vapor on for post processing BUT doesn't have a strong odor from printing fumes like ABS. I have the printer set up in my home office where I spend most of my day working and the smell of the ABS can get a bit bothersome. PLA smell tends to be alright so anything up to that level of odor should be okay.

Any suggestions?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

XTC3D works well. That is the best suggestion. I use it myself.
    The closest I have managed to get with PLA for vapor polishing is this:

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/m.e.k.-substitute

However, it is a fairly nasty chemical for starters and secondly does not get nearly as good a result for PLA as acetone does for ABS. Nothing I have found works that well. The XTC3D WILL give that same sort of finish, but it is not vapor polishing.

4. Gabe

Gabe New Member

From your experience with the XTC3D, would you say the result would be good enough to put paint over and not see any ribbing? Or would some sanding be required afterwards for a smooth surface?

I've gotten pretty decent results from sanding PLA then using filler primer, then wet sanding. But it's a pretty time consuming process. The acetone on ABS got similar results much faster but with a tiny bit of surface warping in areas which is bound to happen when you're essentially melting the surface of the object.

And in case you're wondering why i'm even bothering trying to get such smooth results from an FDM/FFF machine: I'm a 3D character modeler by trade and i'm using the printer to make prototypes of my digital characters/sculptures which I can eventually mold and cast in other materials. Also i'm aware that an SLA printer would be much better suited for that but i'm workin with what I got at the moment :p

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It absolutely leaves a smooth finish. It is like putting a thin epoxy coating over the print.
    You can then paint it if you want.
    We are building the DLP machine for that type of fine work outselves.

6. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Hmmm alright. I had seen it in a couple of videos but wasn't entirely sold on it. Seems like its worth a shot though. Thanks for the info

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That or try MEK or something else... I never found a chemical that would vapor polish PLA well.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

be sure to test the MEK on something you don't care about first. It behaves differently for every brand/color of PLA

ie
    [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.