1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered after calibrating E still printing problems persist

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Oct 11, 2015.

1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

my e calibration is way off.. i tried to change it, but using m501 i see e steps as 723... then i do M92 E805.18 (my new value) and even m500 and nothing is saved. anyone know whats up?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You have to edit and recompile the re-upload the firmware (AFAIK) to get this to stick.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The original Robo firmware did not have EEPROM writing enabled, Make sure it is in Configuration.h, otherwise M500 has no effect. Also unless you are using Marlin 1.1.0, make sure you issue all commands in uppercase.

#3 WheresWaldo, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Yea, I downloaded and just updated it... the 723.38 value was just causing sooooooo many problems, also when doing the extrusion test seemed to be about 12 mm short when extruding 100mm of filament. anyone know what could cause this drastic change? It used to print perfectly?!?!??!

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

723.38 was a number they pulled out of their asses. Most people are much closer to 800 if they did their extruder calibration.

Also note that esteps is only a small part f the equation. So many other variables that it would be impossible to say why it is different now.

6. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I am not sure what has happened, my prints have been horrendous lately. I want to try to contact support, but been so busy at work I need to make time for it. Ill post a pic of the latest print, plastic not pulling apart after the E calibration, but something else is very wrong :(

7. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I notice that uppercase issue. Simplify3d deals with the lowecase, mattercontrol does not, no big deal though. could my extruder be partially clogged do you think? It doesnt seem to when I extrude 100mm, it flows fairly easily...

8. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's a lot of vibration. Looks like loose set screws on the pulleys

10. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I'll have to check everything, something is wrong, and its driving me crazy. I have stabilizers on the top of the rods and everything I can think of. Maybe it is the pulleys... is it odd that I had to recalibrate e so much? It seems I went from the default of 738 to something closer to 800 to make it accurate?

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

the 740-ish number is a S.W.A.G.

12. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Gotta send my thanks out to Jerry from Robo, he spent some time with me on the phone yesterday helping check out a few things. I think we have solved it, just need to do a few test prints to make sure. I updated the firmware and probably shouldnt have, anyway it appears some of the step values need to be re-done to make things accurate. I should have known to do these tests myself... oh well, live an learn... Thanks ROBO3D and Jerry! Ill post my results after a few prints!

13. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Seems to be much better now, a little more tuning and it should be perfect.