1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Alloy 910 Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sylva, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylva

Sylva Member

Hey All, new to the forums officially although I lurk consistently.

So I recently purchased Alloy 910 filament and have been having setting issues because the filament after about 20mm tall decides it wants to act like abs and lifts, has anyone figured away around this? I have the bed heated to 30C with aerosol spray to give it a tacky surface to grip to but doesn't seem to work well with at as it did with abs and PLA. Hope to hear what you guys came up with when trying out this filament.

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

What are you printing? Sometimes turning the model on the print bed helps.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Sorry, I read 20cm not 20mm. Never mind. I thought you were printing tall model.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

4. Sylva

Sylva Member

Currently printing a raptor claw from thingiverse and I have printed it the same direction with pla but for some odd reason lifts.
    thingiverse /thing:4060

5. Sylva

Sylva Member

Not a problem! thankfully on this print it was support material that lifted but I'd like to nip it for my upcoming serious prints for my motorcycle that need to have tight tolerances.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson has used Alloy 910 a lot so maybe he might have a suggestion or two. In my limited use of Alloy 910 I recall having to clean the build plate completely and use glue stick and less temperature than 50°C. Taulman recommends PVA (50% white glue / 50% water) painted on the bed surface and 45°C bed for proper adhesion. Also Alloy 910 shrinks some when cooling (Shrinkage = 0.0031 in/in) so take that into account if you need size specific parts.

#6 WheresWaldo, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I print it I at:
    extruder -> 245
    Bed -> 45
    Print Speed -> 3600 mm/min

However, like most materials any specific temperatures are a suckers game because the most important part is the environment.

I had very minor issues with warp on the first few layers if there was too much air flow as in one corner might curl a small amount (2mm on the first couple of layers) and in those cases running the bed a little hotter would sort that.

PVA is the best choice, but for smaller parts I had good luck with just hairspray.

#7 mark tomlinson, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  8. Sylva

Sylva Member

Sorry for the late reply been busy with the holidays. 3600mm/sec is insane. My printer is only at 60mm/s. maybe I haven't tuned my machine properly. That must make the prints super quick but how is the quality of the prints?
    I'm still having issues with the prints coming out as globules or super stringy which are polar opposites I would assume.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No complaints. I don't remember is that was from my volcano profile machine or the regular one. It was actually 3600 mm/min, I forgot to change the units :) Simplify3D defaults to per min numbers,, rather than per sec.

10. Sylva

Sylva Member

Ah okay, that makes sense now, you're running at 60mm-sec. so the only thing I can think of it being it environment causing it to cool too rapidly or unevenly? I've had to go back to pla to get prints going and I'm getting weird prints when it comes to vertical points, as if the point is too fine for it to print.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Points are an easy fix. Set a minimum layer print time to allow time for cooling.
    Otherwise the smaller the layers get the faster the nozzle is moving back over them and if it happens too quickly -- they will not have time to cool and set.

If the points look like a quick-serve ice cream cone -- that is your problem :)

12. Sylva

Sylva Member

That is exactly the look!!

13. Sylva

Sylva Member

In MatterControl where do I find min. layer print time?

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. Sylva

Sylva Member

Cool, I'll start looking into it, thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.