1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Alternate Fan Shroud 3D source files

Discussion in 'Projects' started by WheresWaldo, Oct 3, 2017.

?

Please release the model for the R2/C2 fan shroud.

1. Original native CAD format (Fusion, SolidWorks, etc.)

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. STEP or IGES files (available usually in the Export dialog)

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

While STL and OBJ types of files are useful for printing and static designs, they are less than easy to modify for any special needs or improvements. This is just a poll asking Robo to release the model source file in whatever native CAD format that it was created in. At the very least releasing the model as a STEP (.stp preferable) or IGES (still usable) would also allow for easier modifications.

Bemster likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

both formats would be amazing. Customization and what what. :D

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes, I voted for both, but will accept either result.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

me as well

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well then between us that is ... like ... all the votes so far ;)

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well, I am trying to figure out how to cool the hotend better, and nothing that I print requires two parts cooling fans. With the model it would be easy to repurpose one of the parts fans to cool the Cold Zone (heatsink) of the extruder. I am not sure the C2 has the same challenges as the R2 because of the door being in the way. The rear placement of the fan interferes with the bed bracket on the back of the printer so Robo appears to have used a 25 mm x 25 mm x 7 mm fan. That little thing is a screamer. would love to replace it with a 30 mm or 40 mm but there aren't any that thin. So eliminating one of the parts fan and now you have more space to put in a bigger (and quieter) cold zone fan.

I already redesigned the robo faceplate to add a 30 mm fan but the door is in the way. Why they designed the door concave rather than convex is baffling, the other non-removable clear panels are convex.

7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I asked Allan that when I visited Robo because my door’s inside surface was being marred from the print bed.
    He said there was no engineering reason it is convex. It was the team making changes for aesthetic reasons - there is no functional reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So someone held the mock door in the convex position and they all said "oooh, pretty"

Park A. likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Form, function... one follows the other :)

10. Dan

Dan Legendary
    Staff Member

I'll PM the file

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you!

12. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Actually... if one were to reorient those two part fans from being absolutely horizontal to, say, diagonal or even vertical, the entire assembly might not have to be that wide. In theory, narrowing the entire assembly by 20mm or more on either side means you could have more print volume, in theory anyway.

13. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Nope... The limit is the gantry, not the fan shroud. At least on the R2. Full print volume has the gantry parts pretty much touching.

Geof likes this.
  14. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I dunno. At its furthest left/right travels [on the C2], the upper gantry looks like it has hella room over to those black boxes which hold onto the Y-oriented upper belts.

I could move my side-mounted Pi NoIR camera if things got any tighter but I'm guessing that the X dimension could be tweaked on this (assuming a bigger print bed of course).

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Couldn't wait for Robo to release their fan shroud. Here is my attempt at modeling the original fan shroud. It is slightly simplified from the original. Download it in whatever format A360 allows.

http://a360.co/2x0gUnA

upload_2017-10-16_14-59-17.png

OutsourcedGuru, sgomes and Geof like this.
  16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is a modified version with the following changes 30 mm rear fan, moved IR down 4 mm to accommodate the larger fan. Otherwise basically the same as the OEM minus the ability to put on the robo faceplate. Download it in whatever format you need to especially if you want to modify it. The only thing I ask is that if you do modify it please post more than the STL file so others can play with iut too

http://a360.co/2xOiEzZ

upload_2017-10-18_15-23-45.png

Geof likes this.
  17. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

Will Robo be selling the updated fan shroud? I'd rather buy one than print one myself (seems counter-intuitive, I know)

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd have t contact them and ask. The updated fan they supplied to people was just a .stl. Waldo modeled this one from the original. They wont injection mold any of the models us community come up with as an upgrade- to expensive IMO

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I doubt they would be making a new injection molded part and if all they are doing is printing it ... you might as well :)
    So my gut feeling is that the answer is "no" but feel free to email them and raise the question.

Geof likes this.
  20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Injection molding is expensive, even small parts the mold can exceed >$100K. And if you want to own your own molds can be even higher. A few years ago there was an interesting set of articles on just how much work it took for Raspberry.ORG to create and make the Official RaspberryPi case. If you can find it, it is an interesting read.

As most of you know or just as a refresher, None of us administrators actually work for Robo. When we come up with designs like this one, we take our own time and skill set to create them. It is to help the community we love and to help ourselves. A lot of people have asked for a release of the fan shroud and while an attempt was made by Robo it just hasn't worked out for the community. So Geof and I have both taken to recreating it ourselves. Unfortunately we cannot do what @Mike Kelly did when the R1 came out, basically a complete model with every part That man was a saint and helped more people than he realized with that complete model. So instead we try to make our improvements one little section as a time.

#20 WheresWaldo, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    supercazzola likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.