1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Aluminum and Steel

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by mark tomlinson, Apr 7, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Interesting concept. I wonder how those print. Seems like you'd need a high density of powder to get a sintered part that's solid enough

3. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

A couple things to think of are that sintered parts do shrink, but I suspect anybody who would want to do that may realize it. The other is that a pound of filament really won't be that much filament. Much like the bronzefill, but probably worse.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On the plus side, the bronzefill isn't bad unless you are going to print really large models.
    I have been more selective smaller models or parts of larger ones.
    Unless you were doing a bronze bust or something...

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

It would be nice if I'm wrong here because this is a really cool concept and awesome if it works but...

I'm not sure about this one. There was another one called 'filamet' that just ended as well. Both claim they are going to produce a printable and sinterable filament. Filamet even has pics of their sintered parts that they say were printed on stock printrbots.
    I'm really suspicious of both of these campaigns. I've tried this with bronzefill. There's not even close to enough metal to do this and the metal particles are too small. They burn out along with the PLA.
    Further, those of you that have handled any of the metal fills know how brittle they get with the ~20% by volume colorfabb uses. I'd suspect higher fills to get extremely difficult to handle.

On a semi-related note, has kickstarter completely eliminated their bar around evaluating submissions? Is it anything goes now? I did a search for 3D Printing and there are some truly wacky things up there right now that are in clear violation of what I thought the policies are. One is just a guy trying to raise money to open a 3D printing store. The other was a guy who has 'figured out how to directly print metal for cheap'. No video, no description of the concept, no pictures of anything at all. The comments are pretty entertaining. He has a concept in his head, but that's it.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, seems like.