1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Another clogged hot end question... desperate user

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JeffL, Dec 10, 2018.

1. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I have had my Robo 3D R1 for a couple years and the last couple months have been nothing but one challenge after another.

The hot end just started getting clogged over and over. I would unscrew the very tip and that worked at the beginning, but then wasnt enough.

I purchased a new tip, but that didnt work.

I purchased a new "heater cartridge" for the block and a new "thermistor" and replaced that and it seemed to work but it starting clogging again.

so i bought a whole replacement hexagon hotend from robo3d and replaced it all which had the tip, the barrel and the thermistor... and it still clogs.

i cant post links to show what i am talking about but the PLA (yes, tried 8 different spools to see if was vendor specific, or color) gets stuck in the top part of barrel in the shaft on the way to the hot end. I now have 2 barrels , the old one and the new one i bought with clogged PLA that i cant remove because the hot end doesnt heat this section up. I am going to take a torch to it tonight to see if I can get it operational.

I think i am talking about (which requires me to loosen the quick release plate to access) :
    1) the heat sink (fins)
    2) the heat break

what am i doing wrong? or what should i check?

#1 JeffL, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I have reviewed and followed the sticky thread that is how I got the printer operational again.

However I can't figure out why it keeps happening. I can go maybe one or two prints before I have to take everything apart to get it running.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Add an oiler.
    Seasoning is temporary, I use one on all my FDM printers.

5. JeffL

JeffL New Member

roger that. i will try and post back.

6. JeffL

JeffL New Member

i am tired of this printer... was great... now it is complete GARBAGE... i cant figure it out... i spend hours unclogging it and then it starts to print and then it stops extruding after a layer or 2 and then hardens and then i cant get the PLA out... WTF...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have you looked to see if there are any errors reported in the GCode terminal? Sound like the firmware shutting it off (if it is cooling down). This is normal for Marlin firmware (and a safety trigger). See what the error is.

8. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I don't have the exact message but I have seen something about "Temperature fell too much during print!"

I have a new fan coming that cools the heatsink today.

After that I am going "office space" on this piece of garbage. I am glad I didn't buy the C2

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have a C2 and it is lovely :)
    I sympathize with the problems, but we have all been through some form of problem (they happen on all consumer printers -- I know, I have several brands).
    The temperature error is in the FAQ (you might want to read it) Here is the link to that section:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-r1-r1-series-printers.19735/#post-119221

Remember, none of us work for Robo, we are all users and we can help if you can do the work....
    Have some patience and we can get you through it

10. JeffL

JeffL New Member

well i am done... i broke the the thermistor wire trying to clean out another clog... tired of this piece of garbage...

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your thermistor was already the source of the problem more likely than not so it probably needed to be replaced.

Sadly getting a replacement from Robo may or may not be simple (they tend to be out of stock on those regularly).
    Them being out of stock is a problem since nobody has managed to source an exact match to the stock hexagon thermistor used by Robo (and no, a generic hexagon part will not work). If you are willing to fiddle you can replace the thermitor itself inside the canister and then reuse it, but that is easier to say than do. Call Robo and see of they can send you a replacement thermistor -- they may have some and if so they often will replace it for free (if not it is a really cheap part).

I don't use the hexagon on the R1 series, I replaced them all with E3D since those you can actually buy replacement parts for (and I mean each and every part can be sourced).

You could probably just replace it with a generic hexagon easier, but they cost almost as much as the E3D and that is a better hotend.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The seasoning will sort your clogs if it is PLA causing them. I didn't just throw that out there for grins :)

13. JeffL

JeffL New Member

Ya. That was my 3rd resistor. I bought one from a parts store, then one came with the hot end from robo3d hot end that cost me 75 and the one from my friend.

I need to walk away from this one for awhile.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you get the thermistor replaced, make sure the parts fan is not blowing on the hotend (it is not the hotend fan, but rather the parts cooling fan). That can give you a fair amount of grief, but if you are on all stock parts it should be aimed correctly.

15. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I need to get this running by this weekend... I need to find a hot end on Amazon. I am not going by pay robo3d for another replacement and have to pay $60 for overnight shipping and maybe have it friday. What e3d hot end should I get? I see a few versions... Lite, all metal, gold... And a few knockoffs.

I have another printer ordered but it won't be here until after Christmas

16. JeffL

JeffL New Member

I ordered a couple options on Amazon. Hopefully will get things running.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well don't try and order an E3D from Amazon or odds are even that you may get a knockoff and those are worse.
    Either go with printedsolid.com or directly through e3d online if you are out of the US.

18. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

I was in your shoes several years ago. I got the E3D v6 All Metal from Filasturder per probably Mark's recommendation. They seem to be the better price over printed solid right now. Pick up a few extra Thermister Cartridges while your there as well. The hot end from Robo never seemed to work well for me either. 1 print, than clogged. Didn't matter if I had an oiler on.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Filastruder is located in Atlanta, and they are an authorized E3D reseller. They are a reliable vendor.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.