1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Apparently the bed doesn't like 110c

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Yanez, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looks like it. Read @Ziggy awesome thread with the write up on how to deal with it.

2. Yanez

Yanez Member

Yes sir thank you I started reading on it a little bit the other day I can mess with the configuration h fine I got that down but the other half of what step is far over my head at the moment. All in all man I love all these learning opportunities.

3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

What resolution is that printed at? What is the scale of the model? Nice paint by the way.

4. Yanez

Yanez Member

Thank you I ran it at 0.15 the scale was whatever came off of Thingiverse I just pulled down a random model so I could play with the temperature of the hot end to see where the ABS ran best for me. I bummed some of my wife's nail polishes to slap some paint on it. As soon as we got to the hospital I dropped and broke off his horns though.[​IMG]

5. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I printed the exact thing in black abs, looked really nice, gave it away to a friend, I had ribbing at first, then secured the smooth rods better, seemed to help. Are your smooth rods attached to the top of your designed case? I actually took some acetone and brushed it on one of my ones that stopped when my computer crashed and it smoothed it right out, made it glossy as hell though.

2 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Acetone will vapor polish ABS in a most excellent fashion. Not so much PLA. There are alternatives for PLA, but nothing quite as nice.

2 people like this.
  7. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

8. Yanez

Yanez Member

Yeah I made some little cups to secure it to the top sheet of acrylic [​IMG]
    But when we get back home and get settled in I'll check the bottom screws. When It was a little warmer my wife pick me up a little crock pot at Goodwill that I made a little basket out of a piece of sheet metal. It worked really awesome but as cold as it was lately the little pot was struggling to warm up enough outside. And I wouldnt dare to do that inside. I thought about just sticking it inside of the printer is shutting the door turning on the exhaust fan and running it in there but acetone vapor electric motor I have no clue what I'm doing I figure wasn't a very good combination

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The most effective at polishing the PLA the way Acetone does ABS is MEK (substitute, you pretty much can't easily get real MEK any longer). It works, but not as effective at polishing PLA as acetone does ABS.

*MEK -> Methyl Ethyl Ketone

10. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Here are a few pieces that I brushed on acetone, only the bottom and the belly on the Buddha.

Attached Files:

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Adjusting the helical couplers to be more centered or replacing them is the best solution I've come across.

Do you have M8 or 5/16" rods? That to me looks a bit like what happens when you use the wrong layer size for 5/16" rods, but it's hard to tell.

I use a steamer I got off amazon for polishing. Though lately I've been thinking of doing cold-vapor polishing instead of hot. Seems to be as effective, less dangerous, but takes longer.

2 people like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, it does. I had to let one sit for two days to get the same effect as 5 minutes hot, but... it was certainly less stinky and less of a hazard.

2 people like this.
  13. Yanez

Yanez Member

I have the newer r1 with the cover on the bottom so I assume the m8 rods

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You know what they say when you assume :) Better to measure 1in of threads and see. Or measure thread pitch

18 threads per inch, or 1.25mm per thread

2 people like this.
  15. Yanez

Yanez Member

Yes sir you're absolutely right. Thank you I will measure them when we get back home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.