1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto bed leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bret4, May 7, 2014.

1. bret4

bret4 New Member

I would think that the newer version of marlin would have the bed leveling built into it someplace. But then again there is no way to set it to on for newer machines and off for older ones right on the printer. Could be the new ones are flashed with a newer version of marlin that has bed leveling turned on. I know I have seen bed leveling in marlin. It would be interesting to see just how the switch is being used to level the bed. Its got to be really simple and I bet it would be easy to add to an old printer.

We need really good pictures and video of just how this is working so we can add it to our old printers. Come on robo3d guys. Share more info on this.

2. Vkial

Vkial Member

Interesting when i plug the first time my robo 3d mattercontrol said that a new firmware was available so i do the update it's possible that the new firmware update is broken for the bed levelling ?

It's possible to restore the older firmware ?

3. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Personally, I would wait for Jerry - but you can always go to Github and get the 3/14 update. The link for it is here in the forum somewhere. From there, you need the Arduino IDE.

I'm now wondering if I can't just get the additional switches and fab it up with what I've got!!!

4. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

lol, at least you have gotten that sorted. Now go and get printing :p

5. Vkial

Vkial Member

Ok Jerry answer me and it's work !!!

this is his email :)

"I'm sorry that is happening, can you please home the z all the way down. If it's not going down at first. Push the home z button again until the print head tip touches the glass"

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's what I'm doing.

7. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

did it start levelling itself what you did that?

8. bret4

bret4 New Member

Mike, do you have any details on how to set up the switches for bed leveling? Still wish Robo3d would share the files for the new bed design and leveling.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They set 2 switches in parallel using the NC prong on the mechanical switch. Since the switches are always active it leaves the circuit open. They had to change their firmware to reverse what it looks for on the end stop.

I plan on running mine in parallel, using the NO prong. That way it's one complete circuit and as soon as a switch activates it see's an open circuit like before. This way you get some protection if there's a failure on the switch. Instead of homing forever, it will stop immediately.

10. bret4

bret4 New Member

That's the best way to wire them Mike. Just like any limit switch should be wired. I'm guessing that they may be using the fact that the z axis nuts float to trigger the switches? Maybe when the hot end touches the bed a switch trips when a z nut just starts to move down in its pocket. Am I guessing right?

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Correct. They use a coupling nut that has a switch arm attached to it. When the nozzle touches the bed the coupling begins to unseat and this separation causes the switch to disengage, showing a Z-min

2 people like this.
  12. bret4

bret4 New Member

That tells me a lot. Using a long coupling nut with an arm attached to it is a nice simple idea. Then the limit switch attaches to the side of the x z carriage and becomes unloaded for lack of a better word and trips as the hot end touches the bed. This is why you need two switches in parallel to trip from each end of the x z axis carriage.

This should be easy enough to make. The worse part is taking thing apart again and finding an easy to mount the switches. Thanks for the idea's Mike.

13. Vkial

Vkial Member

Nope and i think many of my bad print are due to this unfonctionnal bed leveling.

Jerry send me a another email to me :

"Hi Gaetan,
    Please revert your firmware update. You should not update the firmware. Sorry for the confusion. You can go back into matter control and connect and then you will see the option to revert the firmware update. "
    but in mattercontrol there is no option to revert the firmware :(

14. Vkial

Vkial Member

ok Jerry sent me the firmware auto level and it's WORK GREAT i do a print right now and it's so good than before !!!!

15. bret4

bret4 New Member

So I wonder where anyone can download this auto level firmware?

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It hasn't been launched yet but if you need it I can get it out.

17. bret4

bret4 New Member

Yes I would like a copy of it. I want to convert my printer to auto bed leveling. Got the switch mount files and printed them and I ordered some coupling nuts.

18. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Bret4, I'd like to upgrade to auto bed leveling too, where did you get the STL files etc?

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I got him bret

20. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Thanks bret4 and Mike.