1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto bed leveling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bret4, May 7, 2014.

1. bret4

bret4 New Member

That was fast!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

This idea has been around for a while and has been tried on other printers. Will be interesting to see how the problems with accuracy have been solved on the Robo.

3. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

I ordered about two weeks ago.
    So, does that mean my printer will have the auto-leveling feature or not?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you paid $799 for the abs then yes it will.

5. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

$799.00???
    I paid $699.00 for the ABS model I saw no $799.00 option when I ordered!
    Do I need to upgrade my order? and how?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

7. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Thanks, I just sent an e-mail to them.
    Man, it's bad enough paying good money up front and having to wait 6-weeks. But, when the product keeps changing and not knowing what you're really getting, really gets me!
    Would have been nice if they e-mailed me and offered me the option to upgrade and I would gladly do so!
    Let's see what they come back with.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah it's frustrating but the y axis rumors have been around since february. If you're not following the news it's easy to order and then have your order be quickly out of date

9. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

My bad I guess, been really busy and not keeping up.
    ....and I hate dealing with a companies that I have no phone access to. Ah well, Jerry should respond shortly, he usually does.

10. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Terms - just to be clear - Linear rails are a broad term. Generally, they refer to the square rail and truck system. The photos of the Robo3D are a rod and (linear) bearing system.

Auto-bed leveling, as Robo3D uses the term is also incorrect. That would be that the bed levels itself and not the software. If you were to say auto-calibration, it would be more precise.

The only way consumers are going to be able to adopt this stuff quickly is that everyone uses the same terms...

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't think they ever use the term linear rails. They refer to it an an improved linear motion system. I agree with your assessment but rod and linear bearing system is longer to type than linear rails :)

The auto-bed leveling is poor word choice as it's auto-bed compensation. With that in mind, they refer to all the stuff in the firmware as auto-bed leveling regardless if it is or not, so I think the term is going to apply to bed leveling and bed compensation equally.

12. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

There have been a number of us in various forums trying to get this and auto-calibration in the vernacular - primarily since the manufacturers refer to linear rails as products with the square or extruded rails - and then a few folks have actually worked up systems to physically auto-level beds.

The last thing we all need is to have to ask a question because of inconsistent usage. It's a waste of time and ends up misleading everyone.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You really need to change the language in Marlin for it to stick. Otherwise anyone setting it up will see "Auto-bed leveling" and assume that's the proper descriptor.

I don't think marlin even has anything to account for bed leveling. It's all probing and compensation.

I'll watch myself when using Linear Rails and instead refer to them as smooth rods

2 people like this.
  14. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

15. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

Is any one working on an easy how to for this do us with older versions can upgrade

I watched robos new video showing the leveling feature and want to upgrade since messing with the calibration of the z height is what frustrates me and keeps me from getting back to printing now that I have more time again

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The biggest hurdle with doing the autoleveling is the coupling. You need one with an outer dimension of less than 13mm.

Once you get the coupling, the auto level switches are easy to set up. In a few days I'll be releasing the leveling arm

17. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

Any idea of where they are sourcing their coupling? Be nice if they would offer a upgrade kit. I'd be willing to buy the parts I can't print straight from them.

But for now I'll wait to see what you put out :)

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They need to finish getting out the y-axis mod out before even considering offering another upgrade kit. They're struggling with shipping and adding more products right now probably isn't wise.

For me, I upgraded my threaded rods to 8mm-1.25. Ordered from amazon such as this: http://www.amazon.com/LowC-Std-Metric-MetricOW-8mm-1-25x1M/dp/B0086AHNB0/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1401298751&sr=1-4&keywords=8mm threaded rod

I found the 8mm couplings at my local Ace Hardware. It's difficult to find them online and most don't reference the outer dimension.

If you don't want to go that route you just need to find 5/16" coupling. This should be much easier to find at basically any hardware store.

Also you need another mechanical switch.

2 people like this.
  19. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

I've seen a kit - but I'm not sure they're fully productized as an upgrade. Here's a blog post for upgrading the bed. I think you'll be able to add the auto-bed compensation system :))) after you assemble the bed part of things.

http://mikedifilippo.com/robo-y-axis-upgrade/

2 people like this.
  20. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Mike, you're just on it. :cool: