1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto Desk 123D Design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael DiFilippo, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

So I was trying to use Sketchup and felt like it wasn't really optimized for designing of smaller stuff, it is much better at larger and more architectural work where you want clean, straight lines. I just started trying out AutoDesk 123D Design today and so far really like it. It is a little finicky at times but is easy to get use to.

http://www.123dapp.com/design

2. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I agree. Sketchup is OK for simple designs and architectural stuff. I am going to try out AutoDesk 123D Design and see how it works. It seems like all these free apps are good for 1 area of 3D design but you really need to buy an expensive app to have a 1 app solution.

3. Michael DiFilippo

I've been using it for the last two days, it has been crashing a bit so save save save! but I am really happy with it, creation is easy and straight forward and so is manipulation. One thing I hated in sketchup was trying to move an object, it is much easier in 123. I think the trick is, is the other programs that AutoDesk has, they created a free "user friendly" version of their professional programs.

4. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I am testing the web browser version today because my laptop is supper old and won't run the downloaded version. Have you tried to export a file for 3D printing? I'm wondering if it will allow this. I noticed you can order a 3D print of your design.

5. Michael DiFilippo

In the downloaded version there is an "export" which creates an STL, which I could open no problem into repetier.

6. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Very cool. I have downloaded that version on my home computer so im glad it will work. I'm going through the training videos now. Looks pretty cool. Defiantly different that other 3D modeling software. More like using Legos.. Lol.

7. Michael DiFilippo

I saw a video on creating a raspberry pi case and it made so much sense. Start in a 2D world, sketch it all out then once you have done everything you can begin extruding and creating 3d objects. It makes so much more sense when you think about it.

8. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Web Browser version missing key features. :confused: Can't snap 2 objects together. I will have to play with it tomorrow when I get home.

9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Just a word for Tinkercad. Though browser based, it is quick and easy for the basics. To me, it has big advantages over 123 because you can rotate object at will, dimension easily, group with one click, and shift the workplane effortlessly. 123 is a more sophisticated program for sure but I find it clunky and finicky. The tutorials are useless (to me, at least) and it has yet to charm me with its power. In Tinkercad, I can get done what I am looking to do. I wish it had edge fillets but I have been able to live without them oh so easily. Just for your consideration...

10. Michael DiFilippo

I don't like the idea of browser based, can't really put my finger on why but I like something running local. I have a feeling in the end I will go between 2 or 3 programs depending what the final print will be like this way I can learn each program for what it is best at.

11. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Michael are you using a Mac or Windows machine running 123D Design?

12. Michael DiFilippo

Mac have not tried it on a windows yet

13. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Have you tried Autodesk Inventor Fusion yet? Its free on the Mac App Store. Out of all the free software it is my favorite for designing functional parts. It works great on my iMac but my Macbook is to old to run it. Thats why I have been trying other software out. I'm hoping to get a newer Macbook soon because I usually am not able to do productive work on my iMac because my kids won't let me.... ;)

14. Michael DiFilippo

I downloaded it but haven't really gotten into it yet.

15. Michael DiFilippo

so, I don't dislike Inventor Fusion just finding some things a little more difficult then 123D for example I wish the 3d Axis planes would stay visible, for some reason the perspective just seems off with out having the visual 3d grids in place.

16. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I kinda like that it disappears. Less clutter on the screen. The cube in the top right corner is always there. Thats how I know where I'm at. If I get confused I just push home.

17. Michael DiFilippo

I need to push my self to use it, I got comfortable with 123D very quickly but fusion does seem very nice for being free

18. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

They are both free and made by the same company which is odd. It makes me wonder what Autodesks profit strategy is....

They both have their uses though. I think 123D uses a Lego/building block design method where inventor fusion uses more of a professional designer mindset to designing. I think I will use both depending on what I am designing. Again I am amazed that both are free.

19. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

They make their profit off sites like, instructables.com, and then the apps that they sell in the mac appstore for $800+ and the products they sell online for PC at $800+.

20. Michael DiFilippo

Their main profit is their pro software, they area major player in the CAD industry. What I don't get is how much they dropped the ball on Fusion, after looking at their forum for help with simple things (like copy and paste) it seems like they released a program that was about 75% completed while 123D was about 98% completed.