1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Auto-Level issue head dragging

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Billgod, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Billgod

Billgod New Member

ROBO 3D R1

I hunted around but can't seem to find anyone with this problem. (I may just not know exactly what to search.)

I finished a print job. Hit print again. Now the head is dragging on the glass. The printer is going through the motions of auto leveling. Then hits the front left corner and sits the print head right on the glass then moves to the center to print. its actually wiping the glue off then bed with the nozzle. It cannot extrude due to the head being forced down onto the bed which causes the extruder to wear a groove in the filament and then jams. I figure its the z-offset but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.. also how would it have changed from printing the same thing 2X working on the first print but failing on the second. No changes have been made to any setting, they are default from the factory. Anyone got any ideas to try?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It should be in the startup GCode (where ever that is in your slicer software -- I have no idea how you set that in MatterControl).
    Something like this -- the M565 is the one you adjust. More negative -> higher from bed.

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The -0.6 number is one of mine, you need to run test prints and tweak that. Start at -1.0 and adjust from there.
    M565 Z-1.0

4. Billgod

Billgod New Member

Ok that did make the adjustment but it's still not working correctly. I have even installed the software on a new computer just in case some of the settings got screwed up. Now it is going through the auto level and trying to print. The left side of the bed prints perfect. As the head moves to the right it starts to drag so bad that it quits extruding causing the head to jam. This printer is UNUSABLE!

It seems like the auto level is not doing anything.. Bed is unlevel and it trys to print flat. If this was on my Solidoodle I would manually adjust the bed but there is no option for that so we have an $800 paper weight at this moment.

Please let me know what else to try.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Cool you jets @Billgod, there are always workarounds. Here is what I did to manually set the bed parallel to the X Axis. I used a cheap 59¢ hole punch and a Dollar Store roll of Adhesive Contact Paper. Dollar Store because it was cheap and very thin. Punched out a lot of small holes and kept the cutouts. Used a dial indicator attached to the X Axis rails around the corners of the build platform and used the adhesive round cutouts where needed, placed on the lower frame magnets (as many as needed), to get the bed as parallel as possible. It will not be possible to get the middle exactly the same as the corners, but it will be close enough. Then the flaky auto-level of Marlin 1.0.0 doesn't need to do as much work and it will print better

6. Billgod

Billgod New Member

Interesting "fix" but the printer is a week old and worked up until a couple days ago. For the price of the printer I should not have to do things like this. My feeling is if it worked properly for a week then there HAS to be something actually wrong. Right?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What makes you say that?

8. Billgod

Billgod New Member

Well I don't go buy a new car then hot wire it because the key only works sometimes. Your question is very baffling to me, I am not trying to get into any arguments here just trying to get the printer to work as advertised.

Truerobotech likes this.
  9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I just don't see $800 as a "must work each and every time with no need to tinker"

Hell the closest printer to that requirement is the Lulzbot Mini, which retails at 1250 and only has a 152mm x 152mm x 158mm (6in x 6in x 6.2in) build volume

Even that will eventually require some tinkering and maintenance. The technology is just not there yet.

Then the next closest would be 10k at the Stratasys Mojo, compared to that $800 is nothing.

10. Billgod

Billgod New Member

My solidoodle 6x6x6 is 2 years old.. Paid $400 for it and it worked unmodified for a year before we started to "tweak it". But neither of these has anything to do with my problem. I get the fact that 3d printers are a tinkerers toy. This printer is sitting in a hackerspace. We have 4 3d printers in the building that we modify all the time. The problem is this is new and unmodified and it should work as advertised. I came here for answers not to get flamed for wanting a product to work.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Just curious as to the thought process behind that. Not flaming you at all. Just making sure your expectations are set appropriately.

You're probably using MatterControl right? If you exit out and reopen after each print does that help the issue?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On the problem...if it is not aligned close on the X before you do the autoleveling it will do what you are seeing.
    Do the paper leveling of the X and then let the autoleveling handle it.

13. Billgod

Billgod New Member

@WheresWaldo Man you are so dead on when you say a paper punch cut out fits perfect.. your solution works as a good temp fix thanks.

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Billgod, this whole issue comes from Marlin firmware basically. It sucks plain and simple, but it is still the best out there for 8 bit controllers. Robo is not unique with auto-level issues. Work is being done by some very competent, but strongly opinionated people on fixing Marlin's problems, but until they refactor the entire code-base, it has likely gone as far as it can go.

Here is what I use to "level" the bed: _1MG6003.jpg