1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Auto level just the active print's area? Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Erik Kasparian, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Erik Kasparian

Erik Kasparian New Member

I was wondering if I could send commands to the RAMPS controller in my robo to auto level just the active area of the print bed rather than sampling the entire bed? Basically take 9 samples in a box around my print or just 4-5 if the print is really small. Right now i know the values are determined automatically in the firmware for the robo in the configuration section, but i was wondering if i could send the sample locations to the board to be tested and stored for use while printing the object.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hmm that's a good question. I'm not familiar with a Gcode command for defining the autolevel grid. Seems like something that should be possible, but it's not really necessary since a wider plane would give a more accurate result.

3. Erik Kasparian

Erik Kasparian New Member

But if there were an imperfection in that parts print area that you weren't aware of wouldn't a sample around the part/s be more accurate the area being printed?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, but that assumes the plate looks like (crude example) rolling wavy plains, yes. In reality I think most plates are simply off-plane more so that they are wavy. It is glass and some ribbing might be expected, but it should be minimal.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah glass doesn't really have imperfections, that's why people use it.

6. Frankn

Frankn Member

Just wondering. I was watching a vid on the solidoodle auto leveling and it really doesn't level, but rather corrects for height variations by adjusting for the variations on the fly with the head height to table.spacing. Does the R1 work the same?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes. This adjustment happens on the fly in the Marlin firmware

Frankn likes this.