1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Automatic Leveling Not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AlbertZeroK, Dec 25, 2015.

1. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

I have a number of 3d printers, including 3 Flash Forge Creator Pro printers which have been dialed in. I picked up a Robo R1 with Auto Leveling used to try out the auto leveling functionality. I'm having an issue with the auto leveling and attachment of the object to the bed without, well, snotting or bugering.

I've use, glass, glass with hair spray and kapton tape - all without success. In fact, the kapton tape got wripped up by the print head. (I did put kapton on the entire surface, so the leveling sensors would kit the kapton.

So here is what I've been watching the leveling process and this is something that baffles me, the bed is moving during leveling - which doesn't make sense to me. I've tried both ABS (from a known good batch I print out of) and PLA (which honestly, I don't print much of, except translucent and color change). Both at the suggest temperature. I've also used the robo software (mattercontrol) and of course simply3d which I'm very familure with.

I've made the adjustment as suggested to 2560 in the eeprom - but I"m thinking there is something wrong with the bed it's self and would love some advise - I can't believe my first auto leveling printer - well, won't auto level.

2015-12-25 08.32.06_.jpg 2015-12-25 08.32.06_.jpg 2015-12-25 17.22.41_.jpg

Attached Files:

2. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

I should add, I've validated the z axis switches are working with a meter and the two sides are pretty level with each other.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What adjustment?
    Exactly which Robo do you have? The R1 or the R1+?

Assuming you mean the Z steps/mm then 2560 is only correct for the R1 with M8 rods (not the R1+, with leadscrews, or the Beta with 5/16 rods).

4. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

I have the R1, not the R1+

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What is you Z offset (the negative number in the M565 startup GCode)

Sounds like it might be too low (so go more negative)

6. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

This is what I don't understand, the Z offset should be automatically adjusted with the leveling system right? I mean, that's what it does right?

I'll fire it up and get that number though.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. The Z offset is required to adjust the printer (it is usually a custom number) slightly to account for switch and wiring offsets/differences.

You should have it in your startup GCode script (where that section is in whatever software you are using). Something like this:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm

M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

Mine are -0.6 for one printer and -0.9 for the other. Some testing and adjustment will be required, but that 1mm number it uses for default is a good start.

Geof likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The G29 will run the autoleveling just before the print starts. The bed WILL MOVE for the extruder to touch down in 9 places and sense the bed.
    It then uses the M565 number and builds a mathematical model of the bed plane so that the print is level.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The way M565 works is that the larger the negative number you give it the further from the bed the extruder will be offset initially (only really matters for layer 1). The less negative it is the closer to the bed. Yours seems too low which is why I suggest a larger value.

#9 mark tomlinson, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't mean to go off topic but wanted to say thank you to mark, very informative to read. Thank you sir !

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

it is better at Z-2 but now the left side of the print is too close to the bed and the right too far

RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 20.00 z: -2.16

RECEIVED: Bed x: 107.00 y: 20.00 z: -0.06

RECEIVED: Bed x: 199.00 y: 20.00 z: 0.57

RECEIVED: Bed x: 200.00 y: 130.00 z: 0.46

RECEIVED: Bed x: 108.00 y: 130.00 z: -0.47

RECEIVED: Bed x: 16.00 y: 130.00 z: -2.37

RECEIVED: Bed x: 15.00 y: 240.00 z: -1.84

RECEIVED: Bed x: 107.00 y: 240.00 z: 0.18

RECEIVED: Bed x: 199.00 y: 240.00 z: 0.70

RECEIVED: Eqn coefficients: a: 0.01 b: 0.00 d: -2.26

RECEIVED: planeNormal x: -0.01 y: -0.00 z: 1.00

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you manually adjust the X axis (like with a paper leveling) first?

Geof likes this.
  13. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

I adjusted X to 50mm on either side with a caliper when I got it and through my troubleshooting.

But I'm done, Automatic Leveling? Are you Freaking kidding?? The flex in the build platform alone is enough to make it laughable. If it works great - this printer does not. It''s back in it's box and a Not as described complaint filed with ebay.

Again, I have 3 flashforge printers, NEVER have I had this much issue. What a total piece of crap.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Something is wrong if it (the bed) is flexing that much. The rails and mounts should keep the glass plate stable.
    So if it is not doing that, then yep... it has a broken part somewhere.
    Is it repairable? Yes, but you shouldn't need to do that (anytime soon) on a working unit.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What flex in the build platform???? Should be next to none. If your all done with it that's ok but I can tell you when/if you do get it working they are workhorses. The issue with buying used is you buy someone else's problems.

If you want to continue working with it we will all help out where we can

16. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

I don't doubt it's fixable, I just don't want to put in the time an energy when I don't have to.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The bed actually does flex quite a bit in the middle, especially seen when doing the auto-level, It really doesn't effect printing as much as you might think. But I think @AlbertZeroK is doing the right thing, return it if you don't feel you want to put the work into fixing and adjusting. If the only reason you bought his was to try auto-leveling, then many Marlin firmware based printer will give you that, unless the manufacturer has forked his own version of Marlin and removed it.

Geof likes this.