1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bad Print Quality. Request advice.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Correct!

2. danzca6

I also picked up these to make a Y adapter for plugging in both fans to the single plug going back to the RAMPS. It also allows you to unplug one or the other.

https://amzn.com/B00MJVKKKI

3. danzca6

4. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks danzca. I actually picked those up as well a couple of weeks ago. Going to do this mod when I get home tonight. Hopefully it will help with the print quality. Have you noticed a significant difference since your install?

5. danzca6

I did. The side with the stock fan always looked better than the other. Now there is more cooling and more even cooling across the part. Much happier with the quality.

6. danzca6

Oh and if you do go with the Black Widow shrouds, then I would recommend 20x40x40 fans. That gives you more air pushing through the shrouds. I do just fine without the shrouds, but I'm looking at adding them and going with the 20s to see if there is any improvement. There are two schools of thought out there about using a shroud or not. So your mileage may vary.

7. danzca6

You'll also be able to bridge like a boss with duals ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Excellent! One question about the black widow shrouds is that it looks like they blow on the hotend which is not good. Is that correct?

9. danzca6

Yes that is bad, but no it actually hooks down enough, from what I can tell, that the air should be directed towards the part.

10. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Excellent. Might have to try it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

11. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

That is honestly the first setting I changed in S3D. Tools -> Options -> Preferences Tab

As for the Dual Fans, I use this one ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1037680 ) on my R1+, works great and like @danzca6 said bridging becomes a lot easier.

I purchased these fans ( https://www.amazon.com/Case-40x40x1...srs=2529396011&ie=UTF8&qid=1471366049&sr=8-14 ) instead of the 20mm fans so I didn't have to worry about clearance issues and TOO much airflow.

You may want to modify the shrouds, before printing, by adding a few mm extrusion where you mount the fans. I had to chamfer the top of my fans to fit snug against the shroud.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

I didn't get a chance to reprint the ship but I did reprint a couple of Seahawks Hairpins for my nieces. This time I used different filament than the first time. It is PLA and it printed well, but I noticed it has holes or gaps in the top (visible) layers. I'll post pics shortly, but there appear to be gaps/holes in the last layers of each level. It's like there is a gap or hole where it looks like it should have had another layer or something. Where in S3D can I make an adjustment for that? And will that adjustment work for the top layer of each level or only the very last top layer. Does that make sense? Thanks for the incredible help everyone.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Number of top/bottom layers:

Layer Tab

Top Solid Layers: The number of 100% infill layers that will be placed at the top of your part. If you notice that there's some incomplete filling your top layers, I would recommend raising this value from 3 to 5 and increasing the extrusion multiplier slightly under the Extruder tab if needed.

Bottom Solid Layers: The number of 100% infill layers that will be placed at the bottom of your part.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark. I am still working on getting the pics up, but does this work for every top layer? I mean if you have something that has a stepped design for instance, does it put 3/5 layers on each layer that is at the top of that level?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Top layer is top layer.
    Regardless if it is the top-most layer of the model.

17. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Ok - so just because I am a special kind of retentive individual - :) - If I were printing a set of stairs, the top layer of each step would be 3-5 layers thick (depending on what I set it at) - correct?

18. danzca6

Yes

19. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Excellent. Going to give that a try. Otherwise, the prints really are coming out much better than I expected. Can't wait to do the cooling mod this weekend. Have to figure out how to get the current fan mount off...I am sure there is a video on it :)

I am very surprised at how good the woodfill prints are coming out.

20. danzca6

If you have the stock fan mount, that is easy. There are two M4 Phillips screws under the carriage that you just unscrew. That will drop the fan bracket that holds the 40mm part fan and the 25mm hotend cooling fan. It also disconnects the greg's wade from the x carriage. So be aware of that. Should be easy. Just move your Z to close to your upper limit and make sure to put a towel or something down to protect the glass in case you drop a bolt or something on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.