1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Bad print quality

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathan Elverud, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Nathan Elverud

Nathan Elverud New Member

When I first got my Robo, the plastic it came with pretty very well and the next black pla plastic I got printed very well too. Since then I've bought 3 spools of plastic. One of them was abs and my printer is in my small bedroom so I've never tried printing with it a second time after realizing how terrible the smell was so I'm not sure what the print quality is. The other two are different brands of pla with great reviews on amazon and yet for me they both look like complete shit. The first shitty spool was gray hatchbox pla and when it was bad, I thought it was just from a bad batch. Today I received my blue esun pla+ and that also had amazing reviews on amazon and it also looks like shit. The eSUN is worse than hatchbox. I've printed some functioning prints with the hatchbox, but the few prints I've done with the eSUN almost crumble in my hand. I had a little bit of the black pla so I printed with that. I stopped it halfway because it was clear that it still printed beautifully and I also only had a few meters left.

Do I have awful luck or am I doing something I could be doing wrong? Is there something I can do them that might fix the problems?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is something wrong (but probably not with the filament). Everyone has a different "its crap" filter and if we see how it is failing we might have suggestions on what is failing. This is why @WheresWaldo insisted on pictures :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Nathan Elverud

I do not believe the problem to be with my printer. I probably should not have posted my original thread without spending more time messing with settings. I posted it the night I received the new eSUN filament and I was upset and frustrated that it wasn't working after having problems with hatchbox. I believe the first bad hatchbox spool had moisture in it because it made popping sounds when it printed. As for the other spool, there may be nothing wrong with it. I haven't gotten a successful print yet and that may be because it is different from normal pla and I have only made a few prints.

Another reason I don't believe it's my printer's fault is because I have few meters of black filament which printed as you would expect it to.
    Sorry for the lack of pictures, I'm not at my house right now. The best way I could describe the prints is the Hatchbox just looks kinda bad and is really weak, and the eSUN looks like a bunch of strings that nearly resemble a solid object and easily separate. The eSUN layers barely adhere to each other.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also provide details on the filament type when you have pictures (PLA/PETG/etc).

Geof likes this.
  6. Nathan Elverud

There was nothing wrong with the eSUN filament. It was my settings. I've had two successful prints since getting home earlier. The hatchbox still prints poorly.

Now that I've finally gotten better settings, the eSUN looks great.

7. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have used all the eSun filament, even the filled one. They are all pretty good. That said, there are better ones out there. Nylon is topped by most of the Taulman filaments. PET-G is not as clear as PET-T (T-Glaze), I am currently experimenting with Hatchbox PET-G to see if it prints as good or better than eSUN. I have only used their PLA a little and it is okay, their PLA+ is better, their ePC (poly-carbonate) warps probably worse than ABS.

I have found that you simply can't reuse the same profile over and over, if you change filament suppliers and you want near perfect printing, each one has a slightly different formula for their filament blends so tweaking will be necessary.

#8 WheresWaldo, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And T-Glase with XTC-3D on it is ... glass.

Geof likes this.