1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

BarMixVah Plus

Discussion in 'Projects' started by mark tomlinson, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Remco Wijbenga

and the web server on windows IoT ?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not done any research into that yet, there is a web UI so I suppose that is feasible.

3. Remco Wijbenga

Any update's ?

4. Remco Wijbenga

The PCB is underway from china.. :)

Any updates on the software part?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Still in progress. It is currently going to be largely a text interface initially.
    Still working on it.

6. Deynet

Deynet New Member

Hello,

is there currently any possibility to use more than 12 pumps? I need 20 pumps.

Arduino Uno / Arduberry has 6 analog pins (A0-A5) that can changed to digital pins! So it should be possible to use 6 pumps more. Anyone tried this?

I also have an Arduino Mega 2560 (over 50 digital pins). I'd like to use this with the Raspberry Pi. But I don't know how.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am probably going to drop the need for the Arduberry with the new software and just use the I/O on the Pi itself. @Remco Wijbenga is working on the I/O side for an adapter to put directly on the Pi.

However the current software that @Remco Wijbenga did (the linux image) would work with all of the pins on the Arduberry (or could be easily changed). I can adapt the Arduberry software for you (or simply tell you how to do it).

8. Deynet

Deynet New Member

Thanks for your fast reply!

Currently I'm running a RPi Rev.B with an Arduberry and Remco Wijbenga's image from post #75. Do you mean this image or is a newer/better image ou there?

I added some pumps, now I have 12 pumps on digital pins 2-13. But I need 20 pumps, so it would be perfect to use also digital pin 0 (RX) and 1 (TX) and analog pins 0-5.

I would be great if you can help! Can you please tell me what I have to do?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are using the image that @Remco Wijbenga did it does use the Arduberry differently, I'll let him tell you how to modify that to use all of the pins. It should not be a huge change. The new version will (hopefully) use all of the I/O from the Raspberry Pi.

10. Deynet

Deynet New Member

Is there another/better SD-card image as in post #75? If you can give me the link, I can use this and you can tell me how to modify it for more pins. I would be very thankful if you can help me with adding more pumps on the Arduberry. I need it for New Year's Eve :)

I follow this thread and the process with direct I/O on RPi since a few month, great work! Hope to see first results soon ;-)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think all of the images Remco posted links to are similar.

The code I am working on doesn't use the Arduberry at all and the previous version I had working did use it, but used a completely different program in the Arduberry to explicitly drive the motors for drink recipes. I think his code just uses the Arduberry to turn the motors on/off.

Sorry, but for now you are best using the code Remco had. I thought the original builder had specified how to modify that code to extend it to more motors. Look here:

http://yujiangtham.com/2014/05/25/build-your-very-own-drink-mixing-robot-part-1/

12. Deynet

Deynet New Member

I read everything on the original builder website a couple of times. I modified the "backend.js" like described there and I can use now 12 pumps. But I don't know how to use the others pins (A0-A5, D0(TX), D1(RX)) or if it is even possible.

The original builder posted that using an Arduino Mega 2560 would be great for lots of pumps, but there are no instructions!

Can you please contact Remco Wijbenga and tell him to modify his code for more pumps as you said before?

Is there a download for your working image (that one with your different program for Arduberry)?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, there is no image for what I had. That got tossed a while ago.

Just to elaborate (rather than talk around it) this is an example of what I am working on now and (hopefully) and explanation for how it will work and why it is taking a bit longer,

This is the general arrangement I am targeting:

https://www.hackster.io/AnuragVasanwala/home-automation-0dcefc

So the Pi will control everything and host the UI (a web page ultimately, but initially a console app).

Each ardiuno will control a back of I/O and be configured for those ingredients. The Pi will hand off the drink requests to each of these as needed. They will all either be individual drinks or one combined drink output -- however you want to set it up.

Initially you will need one RPi-2 and one Arduino Uno (although adapting it to a Mega would be easy) and adding new arduinos would also be simple.
    My existing Arduberry code for mixing and tending the recipes will work largely 'as-is' just ported to a full Arduino.

14. Remco Wijbenga

@Deynet

After some searching on the Johnny five wiki I found the following:

// Analog As Digital
    new five.Pin({
    pin: 14,
    type: "digital"
    });

This way it could work.......

The mapping between analog and digital would be:

Pin 14 = Analog in 0
    Pin 15 = Analog in 1
    Pin 16 = Analog in 2
    Pin 17 = Analog in 3
    Pin 18 = Analog in 4
    Pin 19 = Analog in 5

Just to be clear, I did not write any code, I just got the software working on the Raspberry Pi.. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am :) but it is a real struggle getting VS configured to do what it needs. I only recently discovered that I shouldn't be developing a 'Raspberry Pi IoT' project, rather a 'Window Universal' one. <Sigh>
    Am working on it as time permits. I do have a lot of time off coming up so I am seriously hoping to get something out there.

16. Deynet

Deynet New Member

Hello Remco,

thanks for your help. I already know this stuff, but I don't know which files exactly in the barmixvah folder I have to edit. Can you please give me more details?

Another question: What's about D0 (RX) and D1 (TX)? Can they used for pumps or are they blocked for the serial connection (or something else)?

17. Remco Wijbenga

@Deynet

You have to edit the file "public/javascripts/robot/backend.js"

Just the same way you did with adding the other 12 pumps. I have not tested it here, so experiment a bit with it. :)

I have no idea about D0 and D1, I could not find any more info about those ports with Johnny Five. Maybe you can ask on their forum....

18. Deynet

Deynet New Member

I added the other pumps like this:
    I will try like this for analog to digital pins:
    Do you think it's ok?

Is there any possibility to use Arduino Mega 2560 instead Arduino Uno / Arduberry?

19. Remco Wijbenga

Just try it.. :)

My programming skills are also very bad, I do everything with trail and error.... and of course Google!

Otherwise it wil not work or give an error...

I have no idea at the moment if Johnny Five supports the Arduino Mega 2560, you have to check the wiki or forum there,

20. Deynet

Deynet New Member

Me to, I'm "the hardware-guy" (I'm mechanical engineer).

Johnny Five supports lots of boards: Uno, Mega, RPi ...
    http://johnny-five.io/platform-support/
    I've already tested the Arduino Mega instead of Arduberry with your image without any code changes. The Arduino Mega board was not recognized, "Bar Mixvah ready"-message didn't came up. The original project is for Arduino Nano, did you any changes for Arduberry that affect other Arduino boards?

It also should be possible to use more than one board at the same time. In example two Arduino Uno.
    http://johnny-five.io/examples/board-multi/
    This could be a easy way to double pump ports if the other options I have in mind don't work.