1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed Adhesion and Retraction Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jordan Serafin, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Jordan Serafin

Hi, I just recently replaced my filament since I ran out, and now the prints are having alot of trouble adhering to the platform as it begins printing. It says it is 1.75mm PLA filament, from the brand AMX3d....before I ordered the filament directly from robo 3D. I had tried different temperatures, from 200 to 220 C, and bed temperatures from 60-80. I always use hairspray on the glass platform and I even cleaned it completely and re-applied new layers of hairspray. I have also tried using blue painters tape, and nothing seems to work.

I watch it begin printing, and the lines it places are very very thin and don't adhere to each other. As it prints, I can tell it's not sticking well because some corners are rounded and some areas aren't completely flat. Eventually on one of the passes as it makes a slightly sharp corner, it picks up filament with it and everything goes wrong from there. I've read that playing with the z-axis could help, but I am sort of unsure how to change that, and I think it's wierd that it would have to be changed now afte I've had succesfull prints up until the filament change.

EDIT: I think I may have found a good number, but I can't be sure until a new problem is fixed, which is that now it is not retracting for some reason. I noticed it never retracts anymore even though it has retraction enabled in cura.....like when it would move to another spot to start printing that parts area, it would just drag a little filament across to the other area, rather than retracting during the move.

#1 Jordan Serafin, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Z_Offset is set too high or you are under-extruding or both. There is a sticky post at the top that has links to a bunch of YouTube videos done by NoviceExpert (@Marquis Johnson from our forum) that explains a lot for beginners.

3. Jordan Serafin

Ok thanks! I'll check that out

4. Jordan Serafin

Nothing there really helped, and I still haven't been able to resolve the issue. I am trying to edit the g code where it says "M565 Z-1 ;" and I tried increasing and decreasing the number a tiny bit, but the extruder head doesn't seem to change at all, even when I drastically change the number. Am I doing something wrong?

#4 Jordan Serafin, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

More negative is further away from the bed, less negative is closer.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure that the generated GCode includes that startup GCode.
    Run it through the slicer and verify.

7. Jordan Serafin

Yup, the z offset is my issue, I just printed with mattercontrol with no issue, now I am trying to get cura to realize that I am changing the z offset code.

EDIT: EDIT: I thought I fixed the problem with fiddling with the z offset, but still having issues... maybe I have to find the exact right number? Ugh this is so frustrating.....Putting the offset at a lower number so that it's closer to the bed seemed to help, but some areas still mess up and then some spots don't stick and eventually it takes the filament for a ride with it since some didnt stick and it picks it up.

#7 Jordan Serafin, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would be the best approach. The 'default' value of -1.0 is just that -- a default. It will generally work OK for most printers, but it is not ideal. Neither of my Robos use that number :)

9. Jordan Serafin

Ok, I may have found the magic number now :) yay! An offset of .87 seems to be working so far, I may try with .88 to see which is better.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There you go. This is how you tune that number in to match your printer :)
    Everyone will have a slightly better final number. Just save it as part of the startup GCode for that printer profile in whatever software you use and you are good to go.

11. Shontzy

Shontzy New Member

Have you tried upping the first layer extrude percent? It helped me with bed adhesion on ABS. I use 200% on ABS and 150% on PLA.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you mean extrusion rate -- then that is probably not really the best solution*.
    If you mean layer size, sure... that is pretty much the norm (i.e. thicker first layers).

*bear in mind that any solution you are happy with is a good one, for you.

13. Jordan Serafin

Unfortunately I thought I had the number down lol, but still some minor issues, so I'm still fine tuning....but no I haven't tried fiddling with the percent for the first layer.

ANOTHER issue I am having now, is I noticed it never retracts anymore even though it has retraction enabled in cura.....like when it would move to another spot to start printing that parts area, it would just drag a little filament across to the other area, rather than retracting during the move.

14. Shontzy

Shontzy New Member

I did not remember the exact setting but I just checked. It is the first layer width. It helped a lot with the adhesion.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That I can believe :)

16. Jordan Serafin

Any suggestions on the retraction issue?

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Try another slicer. Eliminate software.
    Retraction is controlled via the slicer.

18. Jordan Serafin

I don't know what to try anymore, I have fiddled with different gcode, each of which include auto-levelling and height adjustment, I have tried many many z offset numbers, tried 0mm, .5mm, and started at .8mm and worked up to 1mm offset in steps of .05mm with no avail... an offset of .87mm seemed to work decent for a little while but then failed after a few passes. I also tried different temperatures for the bed and extruder. Not sure what to try or if I just haven't found the right combination of settings.

19. Jordan Serafin

Ok so I think I figured out after the fact that one area printed pretty perfectly, then when it moved to another part of the bed to print, it seemed too far away and fails, I feel as if the bed isn't actually level. I had an issue where the switch on the left side was moved so far down it no longer touched the carriage that the extruder slides on... so I moved that back up into place and now I need to make sure that x-axis carriage bar is level. Hopefully this will solve my issue!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is very important to the current flavor of marlin autoleveling that the robo is using that the X axis be fairly level to start with and that those switches trigger at close to the same spots (i.e. they are mounted very close to the same on both sides).