1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Ben's R1, fully enclosed

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Ben R, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

The robo wedge case and I weren't getting along. Not only was it inhibiting my maintenance, but I had this horrible habit of not only running it too close to the wall as to bump the y axis, but when I pulled it forward on the table, I'd swivel my chair and clonk the y axis sticking out the front. Cut loose my pet dime AND my pet 2 hours.

My taped on plastic sheet enclosure was getting ratty, and my T-shirt enclosure wasn't good for full plates.
    It's winter and I keep the workshop space down in the high 50s/low 60s. Drafts resulted in dramatic failures.

Attaches to the original 4 bolt holes on the foundation. MDF and acrylic put together with liquid nails construction adhesive (stronger than screws in MDF).

about $45 counting glue and screws. (about 75% of that is the acrylic top)
    Need some lighting (though its already better with the plastic top)
    Front door yet to be installed. Doing a simple hinge with magnetic cabinet latch.
    Basically just a cardboard box. But it seems to suit the purpose.
    No discernable wobble, but I plan to put some more bracing in it for good measure.
    Z rods are fixed through holes in a boxed structure at the top similar to the robo OEM (but with no slop)

Stable enough, if not better than what I had with the wedge case. This one might have a bit more give but the rods are attached more securely to the case.
    I plan on adding a couple more braces just to make sure I don't get any un-necessary wobble.
    Lifts off with the 4 screws, as well the top acrylic is only attached with gravitons.

Beyond that, not too modified. Different fan ducts (as found in the robo group on thingiverse). Obviously an oiler (duster) and spool holder to suit the box. LCD controller (a must if you don't have one). Larger fans on everything (mostly for noise factor more than cooling). Of course, large fans on the underside meant removing the bottom cover and adding some 1" feet to it. which is just nice all over.

Trying to eradicate ringing. No luck. Tried to add some plastic linear bearings to the x axis, they worked well for about 4 hours then failed (ABS), which made for some interesting printing. Pla bearings proved too sticky.

Want to add,
    different extruder type. So I'm on the prowl for the next great thing.
    Bowden. That print head is just so damn heavy.
    Maybe dual extruders, but I don't see a whole lot of advantage.
    Still unhappy with stability of Z axis. Its no worse with my enclosure, but I won't be happy till the plastic base is gone I think.

Attached Files:

#1 Ben R, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Oh yea, herringbone extruder gears in PET for silent operation. With the enclosure and tuning, you could print in your bedroom at night... of course until the print is done. I have it set to play "sweet child o' mine" at the end of a print. That is loud.

That plastic box enclosure is a sound board. very noisy.

robert sanchez likes this.
  3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

gettin on to the duals

Attached Files:

Mike Kelly likes this.