1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best slicer ?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by YannickLeMulot, Mar 6, 2019.

1. YannickLeMulot

YannickLeMulot New Member

Hello everyone ! It's been a little while since I use my Robo C2 regularly and generally, it works pretty well so I'm happy !

I always used the slicer Cura and it does a good job. But sometimes the prints are not as good as they could be, and I feel like I could get better prints by tweaking some advanced settings in the slicer. For instance, I want to be able to control the exact path of the nozzle (especially for the 1st layer to look and stick better to bed), or move the bed down a bit during travels, etc. In general, visualisation of the full path of the nozzle is a big plus for me I think.

Simplify 3D, for instance, looks like a very good slicer, I was wondering if it's worth the price, what do you think ?
    https://www.simplify3d.com/

Or do you have some other suggestions, maybe ?

Thanks for your help !

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson will tell you S3D is the best, I think Slic3r Prusa Edition is better. Some people like the newer version of Cura. Almost no on like MatterControl. So to say which one is the best, there is no best. The reason there are so many slicers out there is exactly the same reason there are so many sizes of Philips screwdrivers, the best too is the one that fits the way you work and the job you need done.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not 100% of the time, but generally ... yea :)

I think so, but then again CNC software and CAD software were way more expensive so I am a bit jaded on software costs.

Geof likes this.
  4. YannickLeMulot

Thanks ! I downloaded a torrent of S3D (to have a try, after that I might buy it). But I have a problem, I can't export anything into gcode from STL files. There is normally a preview in S3D, but it's totally empty, like this :

001.JPG

When I open directly a gcode file generated with Cura, it shows it fine in the S3D preview like this :

002.JPG

I don't understand why I'm unable to generate any gcode with S3D, is it something related to the machine or firmware settings ?
    I tried to copy the machine settings from Cura, but not sure if it's right (?), here are my settings :

003.JPG

About the firmware configuration, I understand NOTHING about this, what the hell are those settings ?? How should I configure them for a specific printer ? (Mine is Robo C2) Could this be the cause of my problem with the gcode being empty ?

004.JPG

Thanks in advance for your help

5. YannickLeMulot

For more info, here are the 2 different gcode outputs, from Cura and from S3D, from the same STL file.

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think it is more likely related to the first statement, not the firmware.

The workflow in S3D is more akin to how you do the workflow on a CNC or lathe (process oriented) you might want to review their excellent videos that walk through using the product (on their website).

They have a money back offer, you should perhaps consider that if you are interested in the product.