1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Best Z axis stabilizer?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Louis Tiger, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I've heard that I need to print out my own z axis stabilizers to improve printing at heights. I tried printing this (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126873) but it apparently is too small for my current printer rods. I was wondering if anyone had experience with a really good set of z stabilizers (preferably ones that don't require drilling into the printer top). Also, how much would you say they improve your printing?

2. Chrisinnewark

Chrisinnewark Member

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Aaron Mitchell

Aaron Mitchell New Member

Louis,

Just curious when you purchased/received your Robo 3D? The latest models include the Z-stabilizers and there is no need to print a set any more.

-AM

5. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

I got mine less than two weeks ago. The rod goes to the top unlike older models I see on youtube, but there is still some wobbling, more on the left rod than the right. I'm assuming that there should be almost none at all, which is why I'm looking for a good stabilizer.

Attached Files:

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Louis, instead of a stabilizer, which really isn't needed, take a small piece of foam and glue it into the circular fixture inside the top of the case. when you put the cover back on, the foam will compress a bit but at the same time keep the rod from shaking/moving around.

7. Louis Tiger

Louis Tiger Member

That's a good idea! Any suggestions for a good type of foam? (packing, styrofoam, etc.)

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Foam like the stuff that is included in camera/weapon cases, you know, the open cell very compressible type. You don't need anything rigid like EPS. That foam usually is die cut into long squares to form fit whatever you are putting in the case. So you take a small piece and tack it into the round stop at the top of the case and allow the top of the smooth rod to compress it. The foam will keep the rod from moving and rattling. The movement of the threaded rods do not need to be contained to achieve good prints.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Bingo. The side-to-side movement of those rods would need to be severe before it will get translated into the carriage.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Johnny Yuen likes this.