1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Beta? printer build

Discussion in 'Projects' started by feralsteph, Feb 12, 2021.

1. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Went to print something the other week and accidentally touched the hotend with my finger - bad burn happened. was too annoyed at it to touch it again for a little while. today though i got both printers going, and im running something through the robo to see how it goes with it. i think i need another fan as part cooling isn't great all round so its affecting the look of it on half the print. I'll see how my print goes to see what else i need to tweak.
    I'd like to do a new bed, one that isn;t so much longer than it needs to be, and more flat.

here's my printer setup.
    https://imgur.com/a/oFxjZ8R

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I made my own on one from a plate of aluminum and adapted the rails to drive it. Since it was larger and 1/4" thick aluminum, I had to swap to a larger stepper motor (one almost twice the size) for the Y axis (the bed movement). I did not bother to heat the bed either :) Trying to heat that would have been a big effort -- aluminum is a great heat sink.

feralsteph likes this.
  3. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Do you have any images of your upgraded bed?

looking at changing mine. After my print it looks like i'm getting movement in the Y-direction so need to adjust something with my bed.
    I don't like how it currently is, but not so sure i'm up for a huge redesign. so im going to go looking for what others have done and hope theres something there.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A LOT of pictures in that thread of the process.

6. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Been a while since I've touched the printer. Life hasn;t been kind the past year.

Found some energy to play with the printers and did a calibration cube on the robo and the results were....hilarious.
    x and z are looking okay, y though is a little ridicuolus.

Am looking into a new bed design.

So this will be fun.

7. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

So i;ll try add images, but the Y had waves in it. Looked at it an was like, maybe the bed wires are getting caught. So rerouted them and...big improvement. Still a long way to go to get good clean prints, but glad that little issue was a quick find.

Working on my new bed design. I have an idea, so working out the kinks.
    Have new 300x200 heated PCB bed along with a magnet and spring plate.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have converted the 2 beta machines I decided to use the new version of the bed that the R1 and R1+ has. Well worth doing.
    Even if you went with another type or built you own it would likely be an improvement over the original beta bed. :)

feralsteph likes this.
  9. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

I had done the linear rod upgrade which was an improvement, but wanted to improve again, in part because my glass bed is cracked at the end.
    Do you happen to have any reference images of the original setup? Or the upgraded r1/ r1+? I'm thinking of using the original belt tensioners (though typing that I realise that the upgraded ones might be better as I think they allow you to actually tension?).

My idea at the moment is to create a holder plate like a lot of other printers use, allowing better bed adjustment, and replacement if required. Also contemplating doing a lead screw upgrade, but haven't began looking into that yet.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might find some pictures on here, but let me look and see if I have any.
    If you buy the R1+ bed from PartsBuilt you can print the bed mounts and just swap the entire bed for the linear rail version -- and this is in fact what I did to both of my original beta machines. At one point I had use an aluminum plate for the bed, but eventually just swapped it to the R1+ style glass bed on rails.

11. feralsteph

feralsteph Member

Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/GKAeXo2
    The prints I got before and after fixing the wiring.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like partsbuilt sent to Aus. Plus, expensive!!! And not sure if anywhere else will.
    But that's okay, happy to design up my own system. This is my project printer, so whatever I can do with it that's a bit of a challenge is good.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bummer, that I did not consider. Still, easy enough to build you own. The parts of the linear rail bed are on Thingiverse you just have to buy appropriately sized round bar stock. That is how I converted mine. I'd suggest replacing all of the LM8UU bearings in the printer at the same time.