1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bottom Layer comes out "squiggly"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by The1upLoop, Mar 13, 2015.

1. The1upLoop

The1upLoop New Member

For lack of a better word.

As you can see, the first layer or so tends to come out with a bit of a squiggle, and as shown in the side view, seems like it causes a bit of problems with the first couple layers adhering to each other.

I'm sure this is some simple setting that can be changed in the software, but I am BRAND new to 3D printers and wouldn't have any idea what setting that'd be. jiggly 2.jpg jiggly.jpg

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

you need some adjustments...
    start with...
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/please-give-information.1007/
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/visual-troubleshooting-guide.3017/
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/read-me-my-robo-doesnt-auto-level-correctly-faq.4664/
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/please-read-seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564/

Everybody's first print looks like that. A spool holder that is poorly printed. Not too horrible, but the 3rd link has some advise on how to get things going. Looks like you need to adjust both our extruder steps and initial print height/ check x axis for level.
    Let me know if you have any questions

3. The1upLoop

The1upLoop New Member

Many thanks, again. I had checked those links before, but my short term is horrible and from what I had remembered for some reason thought none of it really applied, but that whole "visible print lines" part seems like exactly whats up.

I'm always bad at remembering beginner forum etiquette. FWIW;
    Filament type: 1.75 PLA
    Extruding Temp: 210c
    Bed Temp: 70c
    Bed makeup: Heated bed only

That was the makeup for that particular print. Also basically everything else set to 0.3 (initial layer, 3 layers top and bottom).
    A thought I'd had, might the speed of the print have anything to do with it?
    Additionally, since it seems like it's just the first few layers or so that are wonk, would it behoove me to slap a several layer raft on most things?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, it would behoove you to get the first layer right.
    You may need to fiddle with the starting Z offset. Print some single layer test prints (or just want the skirt print on any print and kill it if not correct). Once you get the first layer tuned, assuming nothing else is incorrect (like bad Z steps in firmware or something) you will be good.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. 'squiggly' means it is too high.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm amazed you were able to print with a first layer like that.

7. The1upLoop

The1upLoop New Member

Yeah, frankly, I'm amazed at how perfect the quality of all the layers past that have been on all the prints I've done so far, so once I tackle that I should be 100% golden, it seems.

Also @mark, I hope it didn't seem I was implying I'd use a raft instead of fixing the first layer, more in addition to it to make extra double sure.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)

No, you probably do not need a raft (at least in most cases) if you get the first layer sorted out.
    I wouldn't say 'never' since some models may need that extra help.
    and.. .it wouldn't hurt.

9. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

most likely your Z offset and/or your initial layer thickness.

10. The1upLoop

The1upLoop New Member

Well sirs, I won't share a picture because the model displays things I need to learn about overhangs on small objects, but the heart of the matter is that I am now, as far as general, functional printing, at 100%.

Any other problems I feel will just be on a case by case basis, but for general printing, that thing is smooth as glass. Thanks very much for your patience and help with my "read the sticky" questions. To my credit, I DID read them, just sometimes they don't stick. Much like my initial print layers. ;)