1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bowden + quick release

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by anklagon, Jan 22, 2016.

1. anklagon

anklagon New Member

Hi, I have an R1 (pre quick-release) and currently i am using essentially a reprinted stock setup with a volcano hot end (i have the cable-chain ready x-carriage and a greg's wade extruder modified to fit the e3d without the need for drilling).

My printer works well and it is fairly reliable, but i would really like a way to:
    1 - Easily swap hot ends (so many m3 screws ruined..)
    2 - Make it print faster without compromising quality too much (currently running ~60mm/s)

In order to do that i would like to swap to a bowden setup (for speed), possibly keeping the greg's extruder to keep costs down, and have some sort of quick-release x-carriage designed for a single e3d v6. I have a replicator clone that can dual print, and dont need the feature on my robo.

Now my questions:
    1 - What are the differences when switching to a bowden setup? What complications should i expect?
    2 - I saw Mike Kelly's modular carriage, can that be used for a single e3d v6 (volcano/regular)? Which pieces should i print in that case? Is there some assembly guide, or is it fairly intuitive?
    3 - Did anybody upload robo3d stock quick-release carriage? Is it printable/functional? (i only know that "it exists", but never really saw how it works/what does it look like.

Thanks in advance!

Here is my current setup!
    Robo.jpg

2. anklagon

anklagon New Member

Would the v6 Mount and saddle from Mike Kelly modular carriage screw into the stock robo carriage?

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The X Carriage did not change nor does it need modification to use the quick release feature, it just raises the Greg's Wade Extruder up a few millimeters as the lever is placed in between the extruder and X Carriage.

4. anklagon

anklagon New Member

So the quick release plate is held in place just by friction on one end? because i saw that there is only one screw hole..

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Nope one hole and a slot, held from both sides of the hot end.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Does this picture help? Would work fine as a quick release for Bowden, or use the Greg Wade. I used a 5.5 mm spacer in the Greg Wade to ease filament path. Otherwise all you need is a bit longer screws if you are not using Bowden.

20151006_220240-1.jpg

7. anklagon

anklagon New Member

Helps a lot, thanks!
    That's what I was looking for...now I just need to figure out where to mount the Greg's Wade onbthe robo...how big of an arc should the Bowden tube have?

8. anklagon

anklagon New Member

alright, so i managed to modify my printer to bowden, and i am getting fairly good results. Not quite perfect yet though, i believe my problem are the retraction settings:
    Currently i have set it at 2.5mm @ 40mm/s with simplify 3d, what are the optimal settings in your experience?
    thanks!

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use 4 @ 40mm/s

Works well in my experience