1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Broken Kickstarter Heat bed

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Rod Weflen, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Rod Weflen

Rod Weflen New Member

Hi all, is there a replacement bed for my Kickstarter that has the screw holes in it. If I order the R1 on here, will it have the holes I need also, it said something about magnets I think. Any help would be great.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

not that I'm aware of. The R1 and R1+ ran autolevel so there were no adjusters. You can print (or have printed) the bits to add autolevel and the stationary bed and make use of the newer set up. @mark tomlinson is a beta master- I'll leave for him to confirm and correct :D

3. Rod Weflen

Rod Weflen New Member

Ok, thank you. My bed doesn't have adjusters, but it sat on spacers and screws and washers held the glass in place, and the y axis was also attached to the front and back of the glass by plastic brackets screwed into the glass. Thank you for your time.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a kit you can partially print on thingiverse, but more importantly it has all of the details about the differences in the beta and R1/R1+ style beds:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:681894

There is no real difference in the Y axis. that is pretty much the same. The materials and construction of the bed is totally different. It is now on linear rails with a frame that a removable glass top mounts onto with magnets

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want to rework the entire bed start with that thingiverse listing and get yourself a sheet of glass (or aluminum) to use for the bed itself. Slap a 130w 12v heater pad on it and you are good :) Not too complicated.

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Maybe link to some pictures of what exactly is broken on yours and we can get you better suggestions.
    Replacing the entire bed is a great option, but if you only need a sheet of glass that may be more than you want to do :)

The slide/drawer rails on the old bed were really junk, but that said I still have one here using them so... yea, junk, but functional :)

7. Rod Weflen

Rod Weflen New Member

If I just had the glass with the screw holes I would be good to go. I never had a problem with the axis movements on the bed. Maybe I can just use aluminum and drill the holes.

8. Rod Weflen

Rod Weflen New Member

I'm located in the Seattle area if someone has the glass sheet I need.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See most of them (the original Beta, sold via kickstarter in 2013) did not use glass with holes, but rather a simple glass plate that had clips to hold it in place. This is why pictures would help.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is the plate / frame under the glass where the heater mounts that is broken then that is a different part and does not really involve changing the glass. Which is why we need details :)

edit: also, something you wouldn't likely know is that there was precious little consistency in how those early printers were assembled. There were many different variations of the same "model" which makes advice tough to deliver without something to go on. I have personally worked on 6 and they were all a bit different :)

#10 mark tomlinson, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  11. Rod Weflen

Rod Weflen New Member

My pics are too big from my phone is the error to upload.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is why I mentioned linking to them. You can use any free hosting site (like imgur) and then post a URL / link to them in your forum posts

Otherwise you need to edit the photos to resize them and that is a bit of a pain.

Geof likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Some of the hosting sites even have phone apps that make uploading the pictures a bit easier :)
    Heck you can even link to facebook pictures if that is what it takes.