1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Building supports for items

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by momoe, Feb 1, 2016.

1. momoe

momoe Member

Does anyone routinly build supports in their 3D design program? Sclic3r is just not doing it like I want to. any advise you can provide on how to build support would be appreciated.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Simplify 3D is the king of support material :). Check it out

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not every problem is solved by Simplify3D. Free options are, do it while you create the model in whatever CAD program you use. Or maybe something like Autodesk Meshmixer which can add sports then export it as a new STL file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

But the support structure density is lower than the model which makes it easier to remove. The cad program doesn't care about that as far as I know. Of coarse I must admit I am not a cad expert.

5. momoe

momoe Member

Ok. Made the simplify 3D plunge. Been kicking it around for a while now. Just set a print to go for tonight. I guess we will see in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. momoe

momoe Member

So I need to tweak a few things( wasn't sticking to the bed on 1 side) but overall, the supports were great and the print is clean enough to mold. May be back in business this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not the only reason they are easy to remove, but a big help. I also mentioned MESHMIXER which is a free solution Autodesk favors pillars rather than an accordian style of support. Slic3r has so many parameters you can get the support of of it that is pretty close to what S3D gives you.
    The issue I have with recommending S3D for everything is that it is not the answer for everything especially considering their lack of a trial version, is not cheap, has DRM, and phones home. I would suggest that if someone is going to recommend S3D, they at the very least also offer to slice a model for the person they are trying to convince. Matt from PrintedSolid has done this numerous times in the past.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

But when it comers to issues with supports they are the ultimate answer.

I know everyone can't afford to make that plunge and I seriously wished that they had a trial of some sort. Having once done consumer software myself I understand the complexity of 'doing that right' and they just don't want the hassle, BUT they should.

I will be happy to (and have in the past) slice a model for anyone if you are specific about settings.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry @WheresWaldo is correct and I'll remember to offer to slice for them going forward so they can see if it's for them or not. I agree it's not the solution for everything but for me it has been a huge game changer for the positive and with so many users on here using, if you have a newbie question like I often do, there is a ton of support.

I'm sure that the same results can come with the free programs, but I personally just couldn't make it happen :)

No harm meant by my suggesting