1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

C2 - Lost wifi connection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JKL, May 28, 2018.

1. JKL

JKL New Member

I've been printing wirelessly with the C2 for months now when suddenly it won't connect. The machine states that it can't connect to my Wi-Fi (check signal strength or password), and then drops into hotspot mode. All other devices connect to my router with no issue. I reached out to Robo with no response thus far. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not really, but I have had a lot of issues come and go with Raspberry Pi on WiFi. The Raspberry Pi is what is making that connection happen so the WiFi troubleshooting directions for the Pi will apply if you are up to it. Reflashing the SD card might help (it would at least roll back RoboOS to a version that was working). This is why we say you really need to make a backup early on :) Worst case Robo can get you a new image to load onto a replacement SD card.

Here are some links with Raspberry Pi WiFi troubleshooting ideas:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.c...ry-pi-3-internal-wifi-wont-connect-to-network
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=196809

Some of this will require that you be able to get to the Raspberry Pi so if you can plug it into a hardwired connection long enough to troubleshoot it.

3. TransBat

TransBat Member

I'm about a month late responding to this - but a few months back, my C2 refused to connect to my WiFi despite being used wireless since day 1. Ultimately, I flashed a stock C2 image onto my existing SD card, and I was able to join my WiFi again. I did this about 3 months ago, and haven't had the issue pop up since. I wonder if the "cheap" microSD cards that ship with the units cause corruption over time/use.;)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes and maybe. The micro SD cards used are cheap. They may corrupt files on their own. The Raspberry Pi that runs RoboOS also had known issues with corrupted file systems if not shut down properly. That is why Robo included a Shut Down command that you should use before powering off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. TransBat

TransBat Member

For sure - a proper shutdown is definitely a key thing to prevent corruption. In my instance, I was able to shut down my Robo C2 using either OctoPrint's Shutdown command, or the UI on the touchpanel of the C2 every time, and I waited until the screen was blank before toggling off the machine at its power button.

Unsure why after my machine was off for a couple weeks that it could no longer connect, but flashing an image allowed me to connect to my WiFi again, and then apply any missing updates :)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.