1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

C2 Power capacity

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by OutsourcedGuru, Sep 8, 2017.

1. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Not sure how accurate OctoPrint's numbers are, but I did some back-of-the-napkin calculations based upon the dashboard's power consumption for my first four months. If I'm calculating this correctly, it looks like the power required at the AC side is 1.25A. Reviewing the power adapter brick's label, it looks like it's 1.5A on the input side.

If these numbers are accurate, then it doesn't look like there's a lot of extra power available from that brick for upgrades.

0.25A @ 115VAC = 0.4A @ 19V ~ 7.6W

Stepper Motor NEMA 17 power might be 2.1A @ 3.36V ~ 7W
    Hexagon hotend unknown amps @ 12V ~ you'd think that this would be up there
    Webcam (probably negligible)
    iHome internal speaker (probably negligible)

I'll be soon adding another stepper and that second hotend. Should I be worried?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No, I'd be more concerned with a heatbed, you'll likely be fine for the little your adding but if you are concerned you can get a larger brick cheap enough

3. OutsourcedGuru

Well, yeah... the heated bed upgrade is on the list, too. Do I remember correctly that someone at Robo suggested that the C2 can actually run on a 24V brick?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is no reason it shouldn't. There simply aren't any parts in the parts configuration (the C2 electronics is Identical to the R2 with exception of screen size), that is rated at 19 volts, you either have 24V or 12V and some parts are interchangeable. My original deduction was that using a 19V power brick was simply a cost savings mechanism for Robo.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  5. OutsourcedGuru

I'll check with Braydon when I go over there to pick up the hotend to verify but I think you're right on this. (The 19V brick is becoming the laptop standard across the board.)

6. OutsourcedGuru

Confirmed with Allen today: you need a beefier brick @ 19V (you could go 24V but then you'd have to mod configuration settings and... replace both hotends).

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Why would he say that, other than PID settings there is nothing in the configuration that even knows what the supply voltage is. Also there are no 19v cartridge heaters so the only way you would need to change the hotends would be if they put in under spec 12v heaters. No where in the C2 nor on the electronics board is there a buck converter that is lowering the voltages to 12v. It is the same electronics between the C2 and the R2.

I understand his concern about the firmware. Their current GITHUB Marlin does not work because they messed with it too much, you actually have to undo a lot of their changes to get your printer to work if you simply download and compile their code. But that is their fault and has no bearing on 19V v. 24V.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Even their broken source code shows almost no changes in Configuration between the two printers. The pins labeling is identical, the settings other than PID and heated bed enable are identical!

9. OutsourcedGuru

Well, he indicated that he's going to put more people on the development side. We talked about the github images and such. He seems to be on top of things.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Jerry also claimed the heater was 19v, but for the life of me I could find nothing from no one that was 19v heaters... so I used a 24v, which has a minor but noticeable difference in heat times (it is slightly slower).
    I tend to believe that other than the brick itself there is nothing really different with them, BUT ... I am prepared to be wrong :)

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I won't hold my breath, what they have done so far has been less than stellar

But I can tell you with 100% certainty, that if what you posted is an accurate retelling of what he told you, he has no clue how Marlin works.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. OutsourcedGuru

Let's just see. I'll put in the second extruder with the beefier 19V. I know that they have meetings "with China" so maybe someone clever actually did come up with a 19V-rated rig and it's just not hit the market yet. Dunno. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, there is no difference around that in the firmware at all. I modded nothing related to that when I did mine. All the changes I did were around enabling the second extruder. That alone was enough of a pain.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Economies of scale, dude.

You don't reinvent when you are a market follower not a market leader. And especially when your a small fish in a big pond.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got some 19v heaters that I can send ya ;)

Pull your heater and look for writing @OutsourcedGuru id bet it shows 24v. If unlabeled it's still 24v

(Late to the party)

I've also got some 24v steppers I'll sell ya but their crazy pricey :);)

16. OutsourcedGuru

Only if you throw in a bridge to the deal.

Didn't have to pull it from the printer; I pulled it from the order I just picked up from Robo.

I would love to buy your steppers but you'll need to dip them in chocolate for that price.

IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0305.jpg IMG_0306.jpg IMG_0307.jpg IMG_0308.jpg

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Pull the heater core out of the heatblock. Should be identified on the cartridge. If they've invented a whole new voltage system I'd spill my beer.

19v power brick for the same reason you can power 12v LEDs with a 9v... Cheaper ;)

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I'll send you some new labels that I printed on my laser printer that say 24V. That should fix your post.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  19. OutsourcedGuru

I'll eventually get the details for where he's sourcing these.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your money and time do as you wish.

@mark tomlinson is running dual with a 24v so for the informative standpoint it's a 24v heater core and any hexagon hotend (Epcos thermistor to avoid firmware change). You do not need or have to buy from robo direct nor source from their supply chain.