1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can't Feed Filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jarrod1937, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

Hello, I'm a new user to Robo 3D (R1 Plus). I first bought one and it had a stepper motor that was bad (just grinded and wouldn't move at all). I got my replacement today and it had a couple of things to tweak but I am up and running for the most part except for one issue.... I can't load the filament! Seems like it would be simple enough, I have the extruder preheated to 235 Celsius, load up the spool, sharpen the tip and straighten it out, pull back the spring latch, and try to thread the filament through. However, it does not extrude no matter what. Even when I think I have it threaded and turn the wheel to manually extrude, nothing happens. I've tried forcing it, and it just bends the filament and does not extrude. What am I missing here? I am an electronic engineering major, so I have no issues with tweaking and fixing, but I am at a loss for what should be the easiest step.
    Quick note, I've tried using both ABS and PLA both at their appropriate temps and both at 1.75mm in size, including the PLA that came with it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mikejsmith1985

mikejsmith1985 New Member

I've had issues a few times and had to undo the two screws and swing the tension arm back to feed the filament down the hole into the hotend then reclamp the tensioner and good to go. If that doesn't do it then I would guess a clog of some sort.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those spring loaded screws are fine to unload and remove if you want to feed the filament in.
    I do this every time.
    Can you feed it in without doing that? Sure, but I would rather spend the extra 60 seconds to make sure.

4. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

Looks like it is clogged with what looks like some orange ABS or PLA plastic. Is the extruder preloaded with plastic from the factory for some reason? My first attempt was with some gray PLA, so not sure where this came from.
    What would be the best way to remove it? I've heated up the extruder and it won't budge and I don't think I can attempt to pull it out.

[​IMG]

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. mikejsmith1985

mikejsmith1985 New Member

Yes they do a test print during QC with each printer before it goes out as I understand it.

#6 mikejsmith1985, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Twist off the brass feader piece. Heat up the nozzle, then pull it out with some needle nose pliers. Be sure to do it quick and don't burn yourself

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here is my theory on why PLA jams for so many people. They simply print too hot. PLA expands a lot when heated, if you run your hot zone (the part of the extruder that actually holds the nozzle and the heater core) too hot, the heat from molten PLA can actually melt more PLA than necessary and creep into the cold zone (the part of your extruder where the radiator fins are) cooling down and creating a 'plug', for lack of a better term, and slowing or completely stopping the flow of filament. This is especially bad with the Hexagon as they use the smallest bore size of any heatbreak in the business. It is already a snug fit for some filaments and the heating will make it snugger.

If one of the other more experienced people disagree with this theory, please present alternatives.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Interesting theory. We print PLA at less than 190 on every printer. I have never seen the need to get much above that with PLA (175-ish on the volcano hotend). I know I have seen other people who say they print it at ABS level extrusion temps... For most types of filament I am of the opinion to print it as cool as possible. There are some exceptions to this (nylon -- I am looking at you). As we get more complex materials available there is no hard-and-fast rule across everything.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Nylon strings less if you run very hot contrary to nearly every other filament out there, and interlayer adhesion is very poor at as cold as possible extrusion temperatures. That is why my post specified PLA and no other filament. I have also found that PETG runs more consistent in diameter than the cheap PLA and it almost always is 1.75 or less, not 1.75 or more, so it has less issues in the Hexagon. I don't print enough ABS to form an opinion other than it is near imposible to prevent warping with a bed that is cold on the outer edges of the build area like the Robo.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the best you can do with ABS on the Robo is minimize issues. You can't totally avoid them on a print of any size.

12. Jarrod1937

Jarrod1937 New Member

Interesting, I didn't get any notification of replies to this thread. I managed to get it unclogged and started doing my first test prints. It looks like I'm having sticking issues with the first layer, but not surprised from what I've read. I'm going to try the aquanet hairspray method people have mentioned and see how that does.
    I'll keep the PLA temps in mind, lower the better. I'm just using mattercontrol and it's preset PLA temp, maybe I'll experiment with changing it.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yeah @Jarrod1937 Print out a small hollow topless cube at various temperatures, some will come out better than others, I usually print them in 5° increments from the lowest specified temperature to the highest, usually listed on the spool. This way I can see a range of things from bad interlayer bonding to stringy prints. With PLA use the lowest temperature where everything sticks and looks good.

Jarrod1937 likes this.