1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can't install communication driver to connect printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bioclasm, Mar 12, 2015.

1. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Hello,

I just purchased the Robo3d R1, and have been trying to set it up this morning. I plugged it into the USB, opened up the MatterHacker software, clicked ADD printer, set it up...

But when I get to the option to click "Install Communication Driver", I click it and I immediately get an error of "InfInstaller.exe has stopped working". The first computer I tried to install it on was Windows 7, 32-bit. I tried it again on a Windows 7 64-bit, with the exact same effect.

I downloaded the Robo software from the Robo website, rather than from the flash drive. In case that is affecting the process.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

You could just skip right on to using Cura. Check out the software forum under printers.

MatterControl is kind of wacky at times. It worked for me for a while then I just kept getting this .net error on one of my computers.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

4. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

I've tried installing the Arduino package, which installed successfully, but I still have the same problem. The "infinstaller.exe has stopped working". I can't as of yet communicate with the printer at all. There are no visible printers or COM ports, because the drivers can't install.

5. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure (on windows) that you run the installation with Administrator privs.

7. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

I've downloaded Cura, and set it up according to the guide Mike Kelly made. It still isn't detecting or communicating with the printer. I tried going to the machine settings and changing them according to the guide, but under serial port the only option is "auto", and I set set the Bauderate to 250000. I have the printer on, and connected to my computer via the USB printer cable.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you can't install the driver then the other packages will likely fail to install the driver as well.
    I had this driver working fine on Win 7/64 (it is now on windows 8).

9. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

But that's what I'm trying to figure out. Why aren't the drivers installing? I've had the same error/problem on two separate computers. Both Windows 7, one 32-bit and one 64-bit.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are you running them as administrator?

(Right-click "Run As Administrator")

11. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Yes, I've been running them as admin.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, less likely, but still possible is that some AntiVirus software is getting in the way.
    You can temporarily disable that long enough to install the drivers.

I know for me occasionally Avast pro will need to more fully scan a file and it will cause it to timeout/fail in that case (normally) and generate an error. I generally get warnings (from Avast) to that effect, but different ones may behave differently.

13. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

I thought I had Avast on here, but apparently don't. I manage about 60 laptops at this school, and have now found the one I missed. But without any antivirus or firewalls on, it still has the same error occur.

14. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

The other laptop does have Avast, and turning it off and trying yields the same error as well.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only last thing I can come up with is a windows security policy that is getting in your way.
    You can configure policies (and this is common on laptops where I work) that do a number of restrictions an I could see that getting in the way (and running as administrator will not always bypass these).

Take a look here and see if this adds any value:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-install-the-group-policy-management-in-windows-7/

That might at least point to where the restriction is. The best test might be installation on a truly generic windows base (perhaps not what you have and need it on, but a good test).

16. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Try disabling "Windows Driver Siignature Enforcement" . Reboot your pc. While it is reboot keep pressing "F8" . You will see the option to disable it. THen try to install the driver

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

18. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Alright, thanks guys. I've gotten it to connect successfully. I have to come back to this later, but I haven't tried to do anything with it yet besides just getting it connected. Hopefully the rest works smoothly.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If not, open a thread for the new issue.

20. happyglider

happyglider New Member

How did you solve your problem, bioclasm? I got the same error message "infinstaller.exe stopped working". I tried everything mentioned here.