1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Can't print from SD card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rigmarol, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I've tried and tried and I can't seem to be able to print from an SD card.

I have the Robo 3D R1 Plus.
    No mods
    Matter Control
    Cura

I try following various instructions and I don't see what they are referring to (video too old for versions Im using I guess)

I can load a file
    I can slice the file
    I can export Gcode to SD card in PC
    I can remove the card and insert it into the printer
    I an start the print
    BUT
    When I remove the USB cable the print stops cold.

I am missing something very basic and feel stupid but facts are facts I'm doing something wrong.

Who wants to help me out?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Before you select print you needed to use the queue menu in lower right next to the model preview window and select load from card or something similar in wording. Then you select print. Then select disconnect once it is printing. Finally unplug the usb cable. At least that is what I got from watching the video

Geof likes this.
  3. Rigmarol

I tried following the video but what they refer too doesn't appear to be a part of the versions I'm trying.
    I'll try again. trying to see what is referred to elsewhere maybe.

Michael B likes this.
  4. danzca6

Or you spend a few bucks on an LCD controller. Early Christmas gift to yourself. :)

I've never used MC for doing SD printing. Just seen the video and what others have said here. I use my LCD for untethered prints. There was a thread about this awhile back. I'll link to it if I can find it.

#4 danzca6, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  5. Rigmarol

I want to go with the LCD controller, just have to wait a bit. I bought the T10 tablet when I bought my Robo and the wife wants to see me using the tablet (it was expensive) to justify buying it LOL.

Eventually I'll get it I'm sure. just not right now.

I still should be able to use the SD card reader in the printer. I'd like to use it if I can for now.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, you should but exactly how you launch a print from the SD card varies by the software you are connecting with if you do not have an LCD (that is all Marlin). Hopefully someone else with the tablet can chime in. I can tell you how to do it with Simplify3d, but that won't help you either :)

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Rigmarol I am sure this question is answered at Matterhackers.com, since they are the actual sellers of the T10 tablet and Robo is just a reseller.

8. Rigmarol

Clarification; I'm not trying to print using the SD card and the T10 tablet. There is a known bug that prevents that from working at this time (got that from the Matterhackers site before coming here).

I'm trying to use the SD card with one of two laptop computers and the SD card.
    I've tried in both Cura 15.04.6 and MC 1.5
    I have plans to eventually buy S3D but not right away.

I'm certain it's there, just not where the directions from Robo tech and YouTube say it at.

Also tried it on two different Linux OS and Windows 10.
    I'll eventually either discover the solution or find it. Thanks.

Oh, talked with the chief financial officer (wife) and it looks like the LCD may be in my near future.

9. danzca6

10. Rigmarol

I will review the link during my lunch break thank you.

Not sure which LCD to go with yet, still trying to figure out which would be best for my use.

11. Rigmarol

The link you shared is for version 1.1 it looks like and I am using 1.5

- I have the corresponding feature for SD card checked
    - When I go to Queue and Options doesn't show at the bottom and where it does appear there is no option to load from SD. I cannot find any menu choice that allows load from SD.

But thanks, I appreciate trying to assist.

12. twilk53

twilk53 New Member

I am having the same problem. Its almost as if the printer can't see the sd card.

Rigmarol likes this.
  13. danzca6

well..I have 1.5 installed and I see the Queue and see that very option to load file from under the SD Card section. I am not at my office to see if I took the SD card out and put it into the printer if that option would still be there when connected. I would assume yes, but will try when I get home tonight.

load files from sd.png

Rigmarol likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try repetier host. That is the last 'other' one I used a long time back with the default SD card on the RAMPS I am afraid.
    It would at least confirm if it is the firmware not finding the SD card or MatterControl.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Rigmarol PM me your ship to address. I'm replacing my XXL controller with a spare full graphics (I have multiple spare screens from kits I ordered) when I replace it this weekend I'll ship you the XXL. Then no justification needed :D the stock way of doing SD is just ... silly :D.

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. danzca6

Well that is one way to skin a cat. I am still curious though. Of course, you know what they say about curiosity.

The stock way is silly, but even worse is that they have in V2 of the R1+ firmware to rename a file on the SD card to a specific gcode name and then when you insert the SD card into the machine and start it up it will print all by itself. I don't like their V2 version of the firmware, but that is another silly way to go about doing this.

I'll have to hook my old SD card reader onto the Robo when I get home tonight and see if I can get this to work. Others will want to know and I'm sure @Geof will run out of spare LCDs before long ;)

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont know lol i always buy the kauffman kit so always have at least 4 or 5 spare screens :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Rigmarol

Well, talk about blessings falling from the clouds... Seriously thank you. As soon as I figure out how to PM you on this forum I'll do so.

19. danzca6

Just start a conversation. It's the same as PM. Click on his user name and the little info screen that shows has a start conversation link.

20. Rigmarol

I think I got it right. Thanks.