1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Changing Vmax and Amax Z affects X and Y

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JoshYourITGuy, Aug 12, 2016.

1. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

Weird issue when I was trying to tweak some settings per Marquis Johnson's tweaks.

Whenever I modify the Vmax Z and Vmax A settings, it also changes the X and Y axis (speed wise, not numerical). This is causing the X axis to skip/grind during homing.

Anyone else run into this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

#3 danzca6, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  4. danzca6

Josh

Do you have a link to the video you were watching to get this advice?

5. JoshYourITGuy

From the Forums:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/amazon-sain-smart-lead-screws.7077/#post-80760

From his YouTube video here:

He briefly speaks of it at timestamp 15:15, but explains it in the comments

Code:
    Novice Expert9 months ago
    +John New  (Configuration.h) #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {X, Y, 405, E} //405 is Z #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {X, Y, 25, E} //25 is Z #define HOMING_FEEDRATE {X, Y, 20*60, E} //20*60 is Z (Configuration_adv.h) #define MANUAL_FEEDRATE {X, Y, 25*60, E} //25*60 is Z

Novice Expert9 months ago
    +John New WheresWaldo gave me the actual calculation for Z-Steps/mm. I used a proportion calculation, he actually figured out what screw pitch they actually were. So.... #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {X, Y, 400, E} //400 is Z
    Maybe @WheresWaldo was involved as well?

6. JoshYourITGuy

I should have mentioned in the beginning, I have the SainSmart leadscrews. But I doubt that makes a difference as Z should not affect X or Y

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No I wasn't, I was just correcting @Marquis Johnson's math. Z doesn't or shouldn't affect X and Y. Are you sure the firmware you used didn't change anything else?

I haven't looked at Robo's variant of Marlin 1.0 in a long time, but I am pretty sure he changed DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION (affects each axis separately) and DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION (affects all axes uniformly). I also know he changed some parameters in Auto-level, but I haven't used auto-level in so long that I can't recall and am too lazy to look at his modification there.

8. JoshYourITGuy

These are the changes that affect it:
    Code:
    (Configuration.h)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {X, Y, 25, E} //25 is Z
    #define HOMING_FEEDRATE {X, Y, 20*60, E} //20*60 is Z
    (Configuration_adv.h)
    #define MANUAL_FEEDRATE {X, Y, 25*60, E} //25*60 is Z
    So, they are split up, but for some reason Z is affecting X and Y as well.
    The DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE coorelates directly to the Vmax Z on the LCD in Control-->Motion

After further testing, just the DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE causes the issue.
    Seems like when I change Vmax Z to 25 (from 5), it also affects X and Y (not sure about E, I didnt test as it was skipping on my X)

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Feedrate is a multiplier and should not be changed from it's default setting usually. I don't know why that would be modified as it is wholly unnecessary to make the Robo auto-level faster. And why aren't there actual numbers in that statement, all my modified configuration.h files read like this:
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE          {500, 500, 10, 25}

10. JoshYourITGuy

I think it was modified due to the SainSmart leadscrews being slower to raise/lower vs the 8MM threaded rods. This change does increase the speed, but is also affected the other axes (<-- plural of axis? axises? axiss? not enough coffee yet)

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Marquis Johnson did a lot of things to make stuff run faster, but there are limits and I personally have not looked for those limits, choosing consistency over speed every time. So I set it to the numbers above and never looked for more refinements. I did get rid of the stupid math in those statements because 25*60 IS 1500 so just put 1500 in there (but 1500 is too much for that particular parameter).

Axes is correct and Axis are both commonly used. English is a really lazy language.

These are Axes
    [​IMG]

#11 WheresWaldo, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  12. JoshYourITGuy

I will try 10 vs the stock 5 and see if it speed it up a bit. The wait time during homing after a 120+mm tall print is excruciating. Still weird that it affects the other axis. And I never thought about changing the math to direct numbers. That makes sense.

13. danzca6

I did do some of his tweaks to get my ABL a bit faster but had to back down on his numbers. It put things way too fast for long time use.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Totally unrelated, but I discovered this weekend that some versions of the Arduino compiler have a bug that will generate 'bad stuff' if you do math in a function call parameter set like this. They will not generate an error, but they will happily generate code that does not do what you think

Yea, debugging that was a sack o'fun

15. danzca6

what version? I better check my sketch when I get home.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd have to check with my son -- he was doing the build on his laptop (part of a job he has for an industrial robot we were coding).
    It was a bit of a WTH? kind of moment ...

17. danzca6

I bet! That would be good to know, but also like WW said it is better practice not to use the match when you know all the values. Just use the result.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, generated panic too since the demo for one of them was scheduled for yesterday as well (thankfully deferred to today by no action on his part). He rarely asks for my input (they grow up so quickly) but this was a stumper.

Yes, there are a lot of of coding 'best practices' that the average user is not going to be aware of (as are, apparently, many Marlin coders*).

* :)
    Still, love them anyway.

danzca6 likes this.
  19. ssshake

ssshake Member

Necroposting, but this is an old printer and this thread is unresolved and exactly the issue I am having. I upgraded to lead screws, I want to speed up the z axis but changing DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE from 5 to something higher produced skipping on the X or Y when hopping. It tries to go to the center for platform very fast, before lowing the Z and homing it.

Did anyone ever figure this out?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

max feedrate is not really the same as Z axis. You can speed up the Z a bit, but you will likely not get radically faster movement up/down (the Z) because it is driven by leadscrews. There is only so fast you can spin them :) The belt axis (Y/X) can be driver at much higher speeds since they are geared (with pulleys/belts). You would need to probably adjust the Z speed in the firmware. Here is a decent article that covers it: http://www.extrudable.me/2013/04/02/the-myth-of-z-speed/#:~:text=I made some enquiries in,3 to 5 mm/s.

...and no -- that is not a new article either -- it is slightly older than this thread :)