1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Chess set

Discussion in 'Projects' started by AxisLab, Mar 23, 2014.

1. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

My son and I have been working on a fun one this past week. We are making one of the chess sets from thingiverse.
    We are using the classic chess set from Steed maker; http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34017
    and attempting to make our own chess board from TwistedDaylight's designs here; http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:234626

I just finished the black pieces and while I have the black loaded I am printing the pieces for the board right now. Still have to clean up the pieces and then start over in white but its a fun family project.

[​IMG]

1/4 of the board being printed. Then white squares will be fit in over the circle areas.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. AxisLab

First corner of the chess board seems to have come out nice. only 3 more pieces and 36 white squares to know for sure...

[​IMG]

3. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

They look great. Any finish? If not they look really great. What layer height? I'll show it to my son. So far my son has been obsessed with designing and printing Lego compatible blocks (as if he didn't have enough Legos already). I was surprised that tolerances allow them to fit fine with real Legos. His next project is to make custom Lego mini-figures.

4. AxisLab

Thanks, the pieces are at .2046, The board I'm just doing at .3034. and I didn't use a finishing process on anything. The black has a nice shine to it, it's PLA from Robo. it looks great on the knights, almost like a real horse. I still need to clean up some of the goobers on the pawns. But yeah, I think it's coming out pretty well.

One thing I am doing, which I think is only due to insanity and OCD, is I printed them each one at a time to get the best finish. The Robo can easily fit the entire set and print all at once but I noticed from a practice run, that left fine stringing and some noticeable marks on the pieces. I decided to go all out and do one at a time. NOT recommended lol.
    From an hour to two each it has been a machine hogging process.

But that's why it has been a week already, I just fit in a piece here and there and it keeps my boy learning about the printer (age 9).

That's great your boy is into it as well, something to be proud of for sure. At our last teacher conference she said he talks about 3d printing all the time and even asked her to put youtube videos of printed toys up on the projector. And she did! I thought that was so cool.
    The word is definitely spreading.

5. AxisLab

Here's an update. Finally finished all the black parts and pieces.
    Now on to a ton of white. Still a fun project though.

The board pieces were designed to fit together with little dovetail tabs, honestly I don't think they took into account certain factors as it was impossible to fit a single one. I made a few attempts at filing and adjusting but in the end I just sawed the tabs off. It will be easier for me to just glue it or come up with something better when it's time. I'm thinking of a finished wooden base to fit the board maybe.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks great so far

7. AxisLab

Aaaaand... the finished chess board, 15"x15". Plus the first of the white pieces. only 15pieces left to go, lol. Whew. Bigger project than I imagined, but that's normally how it goes.
    It is still in 4 loose sections as I sawed the little tabs off, but like I said easy enough to either glue or make a fitted wood tray to set in in.
    I kind of like that I can take it apart to show people so I may just go the second route.

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

very nice

2 people like this.
  9. AxisLab

Thanks Tesseract.

10. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

great work!

2 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Dedication, he got some.

Nice (long) print :)

2 people like this.
  12. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Awesome work! I'm assuming you finished this, so do you have some pictures of the final product to share with us?

13. AxisLab

Thanks bamhm182.
    It actually isn't finished lol. I printed the white pieces right away and they came out horrible. Massive stringing and brittle. Tried from the whole range of settings and temps 180 up to 220, just a mess so I blame the filament. Moisture I think.
    I still dont have any white to finish.
    This is actually in california right now at RoboHQ, It's pretty cool even though it is incomplete, they are displaying it at the Maker faire this month on their customer makes table along with another project I built as well.