1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Clearing first bad clog.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tilrico, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

(First 3d printer FYI) on my 3ed print, my hot end got clogged and I followed the steps set forth on the website and successfully cleared the clog. Heat up push though, cool down and pull the PLA out. I repeated this a few times to ensure the hot end was clear. I attempted a 4th print and the hot end clogged again. I attempted the same steps but could not clear the clog. I removed the hot end as instructed on the website heated it up again and still cannot pull the PLA out. (PLA in the ROBO R1+ Box). How do I clear this jam and what do I need to do in order to prevent this from stopping my prints every time?

#1 Tilrico, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Is your fan running that cools the hotend (the part you removed) it sounds like it is not which causes melted filament to creep up (heat creep) and cause the jam. You need to fix the fan issue (if you have one) first.

to clear the jam you'll likely need to remove the nozzle (heat up and use two wrenches, one on the nozzle one on the heater block). I use a small butane torch to "burn out" the jam. Then you'll want to season (there is a thread on seasoning) but basically it is dipping your PLA in canola oil and its like seasoning a cooking pan. Keeps the PLA from sticking. Seasoning only helps PLA, but doesn't hurt on other materials.

3. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

It appears, on all of my prints thus far, that the fan is in working order. my first two prints completed (about an hour each using matter control ) and my third print failed about halfway through. (about 1 hour in using Cura printing from a SD card) Once I cleared the clog, my last print I attempted clogged again in less than 10-15 minutes.

How high should I heat up the hot end before attempting to unscrew the nozzle?

#3 Tilrico, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

230 should be fine. Be careful it is hot :D and mind the wires, they are fragile.

5. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

Thank, you! I will give it a try when I get home from work today.

Is there some cooling setting that is default lower on Cura then on Matter control, that can help with clogs?

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

no. its likely fixed with seasoning if the cold end fan (the one that is always on, located on the left side of your extruder- opposite the latch) is working properly :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

So I appeared to have cleared the clog and now I am printing myself an oiler.

Should I leave the PLA in after the print is done or pull and reseed? I normally print at night when I'm home from work. (its off most of the day in my office)

Geof likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I leave filament in until I am done printing everything I want to print in that filament. It is just easier to deal with that way. Others pull. I am not sure there is a right or wrong way to handle this.

Geof likes this.
  9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto,
    I never remove the filament from any of my machines unless I'm changing materials/colors.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, color me in that same camp/ I finish printing I leave the filament in until I need to use it again.
    If it is longer term storage I will clip the roll free and put it back with the desiccant, but I don't clear the nozzle.

Geof likes this.
  11. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

Well, thank you for all of your help guys. I just printed an oiler and pulled the filament last night. I will reseed the filament, get some cotton balls and a few drops of canola oil tonight.

I am marking this as solved for now but will be back for help in I run into other issues.

Geof likes this.