1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved clogging above the heat block

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by felipe fomez, Jul 4, 2017.

1. felipe fomez

felipe fomez Member

alright every time this printer keeps clogging above the heat. people told me its heat creep where it heat up pla and dries there causing the clog. but the fan is at 100 percent,. i swear this printer is one problem after another. any tips would be appreciated

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is heat creep. Either bad hotend or bad fan...and we mean the fan on the hotend...not the one that blows on the printed part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is possible you are running it a bit hot for the material, but we would be guessing since we have no real details of the material or temperatures. ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  4. felipe fomez

felipe fomez Member

its pla, and been running it from between 195-210. been trying to figure this out for a month now. ive change nozzles, tore apart and changed extruders and this problem is still persistant. the fan is on the extruder working properly. so not sure what the deal is

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If it is leaking above the heated portion of the block then the nozzle /heatbreak are not installed properly and there is a gap between the two parts. The nozzle is not tightened against the heat block, it is tightened against the heatbreak. If there is a gap, the backpressure from the expanding plastic will force it up the threads and it will ooze out of the top of the heated aluminum block.

See the following video (starting at 3:30)

The information on the nozzle/heatbreak is universal so it will work with the hexagon hot end.

Of course this is just a guess based on your description, a picture would have been better.

6. felipe fomez

felipe fomez Member

no oozing, ive changed the hot end several times during this month but no matter what nozzle or whole extuder i keep getting the same result. i clean it every time. for about 20-30 second you see plastic coming out but that just clogs up

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So....Where is it clogging up at? The nozzle or the top of the hotend (this is called the cold end). If its the nozzle you may need to just season the hotend with cooking oil (canola). If its the top of the hotend or anywhere the fan is blowing on the hotend then you have a fan issue. It may be running the best it can, but its possible its best isn't good enough. This said...if its the nozzle thats clogging and seasoning doesn't help I'd suggest ensuring its PLA (double check, I've been wrong before) do a few cold pulls to clear the nozzle, season it, clean the hobbled bolt and verify you have correct spring tension on the idler arm of the gregs wade.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is just the nozzle, try seasoning it.