1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved ColorFabb XT Settings

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nol b, Jan 31, 2016.

1. nol b

nol b Member

I am having trouble calibrating my printer for ColorFabb XT. Right now I am printing at 245deg nozzle and 70deg bed. The issues I'm encountering seem to be that either the layers aren't sticking or the filament is cooling too quickly/not quick enough. The side facing the cooling fan seems to have more troubles than the other side. Any ideas? I've attached an image that compares a calibration cube. The one on the right is with PLA and the one on the left is XT. The XT one is supposed to have a triangle on top of it so that I know which way it was facing. This just comes out as a blob right now because the layers don't seem to stick.

xtCalCube.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

245 is really close to what I use as well. If anything I'd guess that is a little hot from the picture.
    Doesn't explain the layer stickage issues though. You could try dropping the temp a bit and perhaps slowing down the fan.

Trama likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try printing without the parts cooling fan, PETG which is the base plastic for Colorfabb XT doesn't always have the best intra-layer lamination properties, especially if colored with some other filler (in other words, not Natural colored). Also it looks like there is a general loss of edge sharpness, maybe slow it down a few mm/sec as a test. It looks like a small piece so you might also want to lower the temperature a bit. In my experience I have not needed anything over 240°C to print PETG

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Actually, use a cooling fan on XT when you print small parts. It seems to have a really low thermal transfer and sort of blobs around. Using even low speed fan will help on smaller objects like that, especially dual fans