1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Contemplating the Filabot

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BenMac, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BenMac

BenMac Member

Hey everyone,
    I just recently came across the Filabot while wandering through YouTube. I was curious about what you guys think of it?

Personally, I think that it is an interesting device, though the cost seems a tad high. I should say, it seems more cost effective to just buy new filament. That said, I don't print 24/7, so I am probably not their main audience. Even so, it is an appealing idea to be able to produce your own filament.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Been discussed already in several other threads.
    (Yea, I know the search is poor).
    Unless you go through a lot of filament there is not much cost effectiveness in it.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The only reason to buy a Filabot is the same logic that applies to people that get into loading their own ammunition for firearms. You want to do it yourself, cost has very little to do with it.

4. BenMac

BenMac Member

Mark: Sorry, I didn't realize that. I thought it was odd that I couldn't find any threads about it. Yeah, it definitely is not very cost effective. Well, unless someone goes through filament in a large scale, for prototyping perhaps? I could see it being useful then. If nothing else, than simply to have expendable filament that can be reused for different iterations.

Daniel: That seems entirely likely. Do you think someone could also attempt to sell the filament at a discount? Though, the machine seems a tad slow for trying for a production run.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

When we first got our printer it would have been (just) cost-effective as a way of making your own filament given the prices of PLA and ABS. Now we pay (on average) less than 1/2 of what we did then for 'standard' filament types and even some of the more exotic ones have gotten cheaper.

We use 4-6 spools a month just to put this in perspective, occasionally more, seldom less. We are not a huge consumer of filament, but probably above average. If filament prices had stayed the same it would have been a easy choice :)

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Please note that the current crop of plastics does not take kindly to multiple extrusions, so reusing the leftovers and scraps again and again becomes less effective. That is one of the reasons you see commercial stuff with low double digit or high single digit percentages of recycled material in their recycled products. The stuff just degrades after several heatings. So you still will eventually need to buy new stuff or new raw materials. That extends the ROI even further out.

But as Daniel mentioned, there are those with more money than sense and will go out and get this because it's cool. Almost 100% guarantee that a few months later it will be collecting dust in their garage like all the other "cool" stuff they bought.

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm lacking money and sense and have been contemplating for some time my own filament extruder. Look into it further because as the others have mentioned there is no cost savings and after all the r and m on it its way not a cost savings but damn it would be fun.... One day I'll be able to let you know as I am the guy that does all the munition reload.

I can say using that as a comparison it's nice to be able to do it on demand vs buying inventory.... Except I still have to have inventory lol