1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved cracks in a print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by eric tobin, Sep 23, 2017.

1. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

I printed this out a while back, 3-4 months at the most. it is abs, I think I printed it out with my da vinci before I got the robo. it was sitting on a nurses desk out of the sun light, one of the legs also broke off, I welded it back on, concerned about the cracks in it the most. any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You will need to extrude ABS very hot, it should be as hot as you can get it to print before it starts bubbling. What you are seeing is weak intra-layer adhesion.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Also, just to make things interesting, because ABS likes to warp it can do similar things to what you show when it cools.
    However, @WheresWaldo is more likely correct if this print was fine initially and then cracked much later it is simply poor layer adhesion.

Geof likes this.
  4. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

printing temp is 235c

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

FWIW I use ABS on my Zortrax machines daily and I push somewhere around 260-275. Granted the zortrax runs hot and with a perf plate on the build so figure a good "starting" point would be to up it to 250 on the extruder, test print and see how it looks. No cooling fans.

ABS is quite like PLA as far as dialing it in for strings and print quality so just do the normal after that 250 print test. Its not abnormal to run as hot or hotter than me depending on the ABS. (its a nightmare, since I have to run it I bought a machine that CAN out of the box :D)

If you dont already pick up an enclosure for your machine to help keep the heat in.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

thanks guys for all the help. will put it to use on the remake and let you know what happens

Geof likes this.