1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura prints always fail

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AutopsyTurvy, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I am having the weirdest damned issue. If I slice in Cura, it will always fail when printing. It's like it loses connection. Printing just... halts, with commands waiting. I've tried different USB cords, different laptops, different USB ports on those laptops, always the same, and always ONLY with Cura prints. I can slice and print the exact same item with similar settings in Slic3r and it will run fine, with the exact same hardware setup. This is happening with various versions of Cura, not just the latest one.

The obvious solution of "Just use Slic3r because it doesn't fail" isn't always going to work for me: right now I'm having slicing issues where it's making the entire top half of my model completely hollow, and I'm too dumb to figure out Skeinforge.

What the hell is happening that it keeps failing? Any ideas?

2. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

I had this issue recently too and had no idea what was causing it. it started happening when i updated cura to 14.03 so i just moved to LCD and it stopped happening.

If you use LCD: have you safety removed the SD card? the GCODE might corrupt if you remove it too soon.

If you use usb: there may be programs overriding the usb for a moment like a background antivirus scan.

tip* i also find if i plug something into the wall with the printer, it will stop printing. Do you have a stable electricity supply or do you share it on an extension cord?

Good luck!

3. AutopsyTurvy

Yeah I'd like to print from SD but I'm not there yet. Upgrades won't be happening for a while, unfortunately, so I'm stuck with USB.

I don't have any antivirus on either of the laptops I've used, and they've both been trimmed down to only the necessary things running... I'm not sure what would be overriding the USB, but I can give the processes a look over again, I guess. The power supply is stable, nothing being plugged or unplugged/turned off and on, and it's never been shared with anything else, nor had problems when I was running a space heater that would cycle on and off (not on the same outlet, but on the same, umm... circuit? Control switch? Thing? idk the word), so I think the power in that room is okay, stability-wise.

It's just weird because I can print for 18 hours straight with a Slic3r print with the same stuff running, not even a reboot or anything, just loading different gcode, and switch to a Cura print (both printing from within Repetier) and it fails within an hour or two.

4. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

it may be a faulty document then. try slice with cura and run the g-code through repeteir to see if it makes any difference.

5. AutopsyTurvy

Run it through... how?

6. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

open the g-code on repetier and print from repetier to see if the print stops in the same place.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I never had the disconnect issue, but I did have more trouble with the Cura slicer getting good prints. Most of those issues I thought were due to print speed (it defaulted to higher print speed than Repetier).
    This annoyed me because there were models Cura could handle that Slic3r could not.

I never did get it sorted. Now using Simplify3D with a faster print speed and no slicer failures. It is easier to learn than Skeinforge (although I am certain with the skills/knowledge you could do the same things with Skeinforge since you can tweak everything). Supports are sooo easy and they work very well (something else I never got right in any of the others).

Good luck. Would be interested in the results if you do manage to get a solution that works.

8. AutopsyTurvy

soupaboy - That's what I've been doing. I always print from Repetier, whether I generate the gcode in Slic3r or Cura.

mark - Hmm, so have you found Simplify3D worth the price? It's got a lot of really neat features but damn it's expensive... Been reluctant to get it because of the steep price, but if it's worth it...

9. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

hmm Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling cura? it may have updated recently and something went wrong

10. AutopsyTurvy

... well Mr. Turvy just went and bought me a copy of Simplify3D soooo I guess I'll try that! lol

11. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

nice, ask if he will get me a copy :)

12. AutopsyTurvy

Only if you let him touch your boobs.

13. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

tempting...:p

14. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Now that you have Simplify, it won't matter (I hope), but I couldn't get Cura 14.03 to work either so I went back to the previous version and have been getting great results. Nice work on your faces, Ms. Turvy - and nice job on Simplify for the little lady, Mr. Turvy.

15. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've also kept some of the old versions of Cura around. 14 seems to do some odd stuff on occasion.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So it wasn't just me :)

17. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Version 1 of Repetier is meant to natively support Cura so hopefully that works better.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes.

The way automatic supports just work (and extra manual ones are so easy to add)... that alone was worth the price.
    So far I have not had any slicer/model related issues and it is lightning quick to slice.

19. AutopsyTurvy

Oh my sweet baby cheeses. The automatic and manual supports are like a dream of hot cinnamon buns. Also, the speed scaling and just general gcode output is -magnificent-. Way, way more accurate with no ghosting or wobble. Still have yet to see how it does on a larger print, but I've got one running now that's looking really good. It also doesn't choke on slightly wonky models the way Repetier does, similar to Cura (which is most of why I was using Cura).

So I guess the conclusion is... suck it up and buy Simplify3D because AMAZING. Still gonna need some tweaking and fiddling but it seems to be a vast improvement.

5 people like this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The supports just pop right off too (which was amazing as well)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.