1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura prints always fail

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AutopsyTurvy, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

Ahahaha omg mark you weren't kidding at all about that...

Earlier, I printed the best slice I could get of one of my doll pieces, from Slic3r. Was missing some internal support in places but I got the external support soooorta okay and I figured with enough walls it'd be okay. Dropped some loops, some bits of support were a little hard to remove, some rippling on the underside of bowl shapes like the very bottom of the back, but pretty standard okay print for what I'm getting lately.

Sliced the same stl in Simplify3D, tweaked the settings -very- slightly from a quick calibration thingie I did, added a little manual support in a few spots I know tend to drop loops, printed it in about the same amount of time and at the same 0.1mm layer height...

The difference is astounding, both in surface quality, underside areas (no rippling on the curved overhang! at all! i thought that was just an inevitability!), and the support literally just popped right off. Like, all in one piece. I sat there staring at the perfect giant chunk of support that came out effortlessly and busted up laughing.

And the gcode worked fine over a 3.5 hour print without failing like it surely would have from Cura in that time so I'm gonna go with SOLVED AND AWESOME on this one. :D Check it out - Simplify3D on the left, Slic3r on the right. The bottom of the newer one looks a little rougher but only because -all- I did was remove the support with pliers from that one - the other I had to trim off a bunch of dropped and semi-dropped loops with a craft knife so it was much, MUUUCH rougher before cleanup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Damn it, I think I'll have to buy Simplify. Will probably save me lots of time and headaches though.

Good to see your back Autopsy. Your models look awesome too.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have only scratched the surface of it after a month of using it, but the fact that supports JUST WORK was worth the entry price to play in my humble opinion. I wasted a lot of time getting so-so supports from some, solid bricks from others (CURA I am looking at you) and this made correct supports first time I tried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.