1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Current regulation.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, May 23, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys.

I plan on creating a rundown of all the modifications I've made to my printer so far in order to help newer people get the smoothest setup they can and maybe give others some things to think about. Before I can do that there are a couple of little issues I need to work out in order to get my printer running how I would like it to. Hopefully someone can give me advice on that that'll in turn allow me to create my setup post for others :)

The issue I'm having is not strictly printer related. More general electronics related. What I've done is I have got OctoPrint running on a Pi. I don't want the second plug coming out of my printer to run the Pi so I tried using a voltage regulator to limit the current from the board inside the printer to something the Pi can use (5V down from 12V). The Pi runs fine.

The problem is that the wifi adapter used to connect the Pi to the internet won't turn on if powered from the printer, but will if powered from a plug. I measured the current coming from the printer and it sits at a whopping 4.5 - 5 amp. The voltage regulator I bought says the output is 3 amp max, but I don't know if that means it can output 3 amp max or if it can only handle 3 amp max. Here is what I bought: http://irishelectronics.ie/epages/9...jectPath=/Shops/950018241/Products/"USB STEP"

The images below show how I've wired it in.

Could anyone give me an idea as to why the wifi adapter works when the Pi is powered using the plug but not the printer? I'm guessing it's the current... Any ideas on how to fix that? Buy a more expensive regulator?

Here is the wifi adapter: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN823N.html

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'd start by hooking a meter in-line with the Pi on the input voltage and run everything off of the wall and see how much the Pi and Wifi dongle need. Then you can decide if the DC-DC converter is the limiting factor or not. My guess would be that the Pi/WiFi combo are using more current than it can provide so... the WiFi dongle pays the price.

The 3 amp rating is the MAX output on the device and it wants a run-time normal of 2a
    Load capacity:3A(Max) Typical 2A

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. Oisin

Oisin Member

I thought that too, but 4.5 to 5 amp? Something like a laptop only uses maybe 3. I just assumed it was more of a safety feature of the wifi adapter. That maybe it was receiving too much current and it decided not to turn on to protect itself. I'll check and see if I have a meter to find out exactly what's needed. Good call!

So the output is 3A max but I'm reading almost 5 amp. Would that suggest the regulator is defective?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I suggest it is working itself into a frenzy :)
    It may not be able to maintain voltage at that load.

The regulator will not produce current that is not being demanded so if it is putting out 5a you can be pretty sure the Pi/WiFi is pulling 5a.

I know the last time I looked at the power draw for a Pi and assorted stuff (including WiFi) I was impressed myself with how much it wanted :) I had to hunt up a larger 5v wall wart (we were doing some assorted analog controls as well, but not a lot)

The Pi3 is supposed to be lower and the Pi Zero is a lot less. Downside with the Zero is you have to add some connectors for various things.

Geof likes this.
  6. Oisin

Oisin Member

Gotcha. So find out what it needs and then work from there. I took a chance on that regulator because it was so cheap. Would have been nice to have it work with no issues straight away!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. This is a nice approach to this.

8. Oisin

Oisin Member

Thanks! Just one more question: Is this what you mean by 'meter'? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-Charger-...hash=item35f96671c3:m:mQZk1eztr96TOcrEy468B0w

Also, here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/ I noticed it says

"We have found that purchasing a 1.2A (1200mA) power supply from a reputable retailer will provide you with ample power to run your Raspberry Pi for most applications, though you may want to get a 2.5A (2500mA) power supply if you want to use all 4 USB ports on the Models B+/2B/3B without using an external powered USB hub."

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes. That should work fine.
    I actually used a multimeter on DC settings to measure the current off of a USB breakout board, but those work good. I have a couple of different styles I picked up cheap and they all work decent.

I was just going the extra mile since I could not believe that a 3 amp supply couldn't keep up.
    Spoiler alert : it can't :)

Geof likes this.