1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

2. danzca6

Or get a 20mm deep motor instead and it should fit in the current hole on the carriage.

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...or-35v-1a-13ncm184ozin-17hs081004s-p-101.html

3. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

4. danzca6

Interested which one on Amazon you ordered for reference.

5. KTMDirtFace

6. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Moreover, having it facing that way will keep the heaviest part of the extruder (the Nema 17) close to the x-axis belt. It should move better that way than with the mass all at the front of the carriage.

7. KTMDirtFace

Yea I was thinking that too the weight should be pretty ceneralized on the cairrage.. The Cooling fan for the e3dV6 will most likley only fit on facing towards the back but..whatever it will be out of the way that way.

Was a about to print a test bracket, but my other robo3d's hotend just jammed and I dont feel like taking it apart right now. I have custom printed carriages anyway so I don't need to use the stock carriage.

Looks like there should be room underneath. the Blue thing is my ghetto mockup of the E3DV6.. without the heaterblock or the nozzle but the length is about right. Still need to mod my carriage and make the mount braket have mount holes.

[​IMG]

How it would look from the front ( just set the motor and extruder cage on my current carriage)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My X stop switch may be in the way for accessing the lower left screw of the Titan though...i'll have to figure out something else for that. Most likley I will widen my carriage so I don't think it will be an issue.

#87 KTMDirtFace, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  8. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Just because I don't like making things wider than they need to be, I would almost be willing to move the extruder to the right in the carriage. As it is now, you're losing a little bit of x travel on the far right side of the printer. (Perhaps it's necessary, though. Looking at the gear protruding out of the extruder. It might need that space to not collide with anything when it's at full x travel.)

Alternately, you could use that space to run the wiring from the hotend up into a cable chain. I think I like this idea more.
    Also, if you are using solidworks, I'd be interested in the files you have so far. Just to play with them and see what I can come up with. I have a Titan in a box right now, and I really want to mount this damned thing.

9. danzca6

Nice. Yep that is the same seller. Getting free shipping is pretty good. If you bought it from their site the shipping would have put you close to that price anyway. Thanks for the link. Not sure why I didn't find that one on Amazon.

10. KTMDirtFace

Actually widening the carriage wont really loose anything( would be widening it to the left), the stock robo motor hangs off the side on the left and the big gear hangs off on the right.. and the xstop switch hangs off too.. I would just be using more plastic I guess. But yea I thought about offsetting the whole thing on the carriage too.

I'm using moment of inspiration but I can export to step or iges? Here is my MOI File https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1lbqfam2rmymn9/TitanCarriage_Mount.3dm?dl=0 ( Its all just roughed out blocks right now to see how it will fit )

, maybe solid works knows how to import it. its NURBS anyway. If Not I can export to whatever.

Note: My carriage is modified for larger brash bushings instead of bearings, and also the hole to hole distance of the rods is slighly diffrent from stock because I was getting binding..but you can find the stock carriage on Mike Kellys thingiverse page I think. And he has all the source file formats in there.

#90 KTMDirtFace, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  11. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

Well, I only really wanted the model you have so far because it was easier than asking you to give me all the measurements that I need. I have the .stl for a couple of carriages and was going to draft up a new one using your design.

Also, Solidworks is telling me that .3dm is a supported filetype, but it's having a hard time importing it. I don't know at this point if it's the file or if it's Solidworks just being a brat today.
    .step and .iges are also both supported.

12. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

Here is my V1.1 up and running, well except for a sudden power loss on the first layer....will figure out stuff in morning...
    [​IMG]

XEMA, Marcus T and KTMDirtFace like this.
  13. KTMDirtFace

I don't know, try this .stp version
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/07kb049q2p8uoul/TitanCarriage_Mount.stp?dl=0

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@KTMDirtFace You are forgetting that it also offsets the heater, which is already small enough! If you move everything forward it will make the back of the bed have more heat and more room in the front without heat. How would that help other than making an extruder that wasn't designed for the Robo, fit?

15. danzca6

T, Nice job. And you have a wire chain solution. Awesome. I just have a couple questions. Why did you rotate the motor 45 degrees? I would think if you had it mounted out straight to the right you wouldn't lose so much X. Did you run into a space restriction? Also, why is the PTFE coming out of the Titan? Normally that would stay inside the black guide cap inside of the Titan...at least I thought.

16. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

In order to use the stock carriage with stock mounting points this was the only solution that I could see at the time. My goal was to design a direct bolt on without removing carriage for everyone, I'll still play with other designs, but in order to really keep distances I'll need new x carriage too. If that made sense..the tube coming out of the top isn't necessary I just added go easier guidance into the top of the titan. The lower tube is still in the hotend

Marcus T and KTMDirtFace like this.
  17. KTMDirtFace

I didn't forget that. I just don't care much, to use it for 3 days until my smaller motor gets here. My heater is about to fall off anyway.

#97 KTMDirtFace, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  18. Marcus T

Marcus T Member

The effective print area on the Robo's bed is already off centered to the rear. I had thought about this problem previously. To center the hotend to the bed, you would need to move the extruder forward by about half an inch. So the change that @KTMDirtFace made moved it more than that, but it's not any more offset than stock, it's just offset in the opposite direction. Obviously, it would be ideal to have it somewhere in between, but for testing a prototype, this is no problem.

19. KTMDirtFace

I like it for if using the stock carriage. Would the stock motor stick out too far in that scenerio?

20. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Well, from seeing all the effort you guys are putting in this, I am only able to draw one conclusion. Fitting the Titan to the existing X Axis Carriage will be a kludge at best, and not workable at the worst. I think I am going to rework the Eustathios carriage to use the Titan I have coming on it instead of trying to fit it on the RoboR1.

KTMDirtFace likes this.