1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3d V5 Hook Up

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Garrett, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Garrett

Garrett New Member

I've gotten the E3d extruder almost ready to go, except I need to finish up the wire work. I'm hoping for suggestions on how to hook it up. I'm currently hoping to connect it up to the female end where the original extruder was connected to. I was hoping to get a male end like in the picture (which is the connector for the original extruder), but can't find any. Any suggestions on easy ways to wire this or find this connector?

[​IMG]

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Probably best to trim off the female end and solder the wires together. Otherwise you'd need to buy a crimping tool which are typically quite pricey

3. Garrett

Garrett New Member

I was thinking that would be the quickest approach. But long story short, I may need to switch my extruder to the original every now and then, and I was hoping for it to be set up for an easy switch. That's why I was hoping to find that connector.

4. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I got a cheap crimping tool from hobbyking, though haven't had a chance to use it yet.

5. Wilco

Wilco New Member

You could page through digikey trying to find it, or do what I usually end up doing. Pick up a few sets of these lovely connectors from Adafruit (in several wire counts,) and then replace the connectors with one you have lots of spare mates for.

6. Garrett

Garrett New Member

Any chance I could get a bit more detail on the crimping. I have not done a lot of wire work before, and no crimping before. Oh, and a link to connectors that would work for this. Sorry for asking so much from you, but I'm currently trying to be as careful as possible with everything since I almost broke everything once already, and I'd rather avoid that again.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

8. Jay

Jay New Member

I basically rewired every connector to the hotend so I can unplug the everything from the wirebundle including the stepper motor. It was pretty simple just keep black with black and red with red and make sure the connectors line up. I plugged the wrong 2 sets for the extruder stepper in once and found it moved in reverse which was very confusing for about 30 seconds when I started printing.

I bought a bunch of really cheap male + female connectors from Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271400727274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Picture of my setup currently still a bit messy as I'm waiting for another set of connectors before I clean it up.

IMG_4425.JPG

3 people like this.