1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D V6 Upgrade... And new questions

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by gstercken, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Just received my e3d v6 hot end and i was able to take the therm out but it seems too big for the the screw that came with the e3d v6....any help?

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

3. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

I guess I understood that wrong earlier but now i understand. Honestly I guess the only problem I have is transferring the other connector to the new wires for the e3d.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

The E3D kit gives you crimps and insulation sleeves. It should be very straightforward to cut out the old thermistor and swap in the new one.

See http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6-Assembly. This looks really easy. I would be really glad to help out if you have questions on specific steps.

5. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

i understand how they want me to assemble the thermistor im past that my question is do i have to rewire everything or is there a way i can use the original connectors on the robo that detach from the extruder bracket wiring?

6. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Can i reuse this connector? Or maybe its a dumb question.

Attached Files:

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I don't have your version of the printer so I don't know the state of the wiring and connectors. Particularly how much room you have to make a splice for the hotend or the thermistor. If there is room I would just splice them together and reuse all the wiring and connectors. If you are careful you might even be able to get those pins out of the connector, remove the old wires and insert the E3D's heater wires. My printer did not come with connectors so when I put the E3D in I just bought some high power connectors from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-5-NE...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58aa7ac944) for the heater and just used a dual .1" pin connector for the thermistor.

While you are messing with the wiring I would check both the hotend heater wires and the bed heater wires back at the screw terminals. I suggest that you remove them, trim them and tin them with solder and reinstall them securely. They may already be OK but it is a good idea to check them. There have been a lot users with shorts from loose strands in the past.

8. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Ok this is what mine looks like

Attached Files:

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Sorry Mark but I can't tell much from those photos. I don't recognise the connector or how much space you have to the heater and thermistor. Are they two pin connectors? Perhaps someone else can chime in with the connector type so you can order one. Otherwise you will have to release the pins or cut the hot end side and splice the wires.

Does it look like you can release the pins from the connector on the hot end side or are they molded in?

10. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

yeah they are 2 pin connectors.....i probably made this harder than it should be by trying to go the easiest way....they look like two pin quick release connectors.....i guess the only question i have now is can i get them locally?

Attached Files:

11. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

I guess i would just need the pins of these....i guess they are called aristocraft style 2 pin connectors

Attached Files:

12. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I think the connector is a JST SMP (plug) and SMR (receptacle) connectors. Aristocraft seems like brand name for an assembly using them used for model railroads. I enclosed a datasheet below. Note that the E3D heater is 40W at 12V or 3.3Amps. The JST connector specs a max of 3Amps. Seems a bit close to me. I'm not sure what the power of your original hot end was.

Attached Files:

13. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Should I just use the connectors you used? I have alot of extra wire on the v6. Splice the males off and connect them with different connectors? I have an r1 with hexagon metal hot end.

14. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

You think these would work?

Attached Files:

15. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Maybe someone else can comment on the connector. The Hexagon also uses a 30Watt heater so that is 2.5Amps and the JST SM connector is properly rated for it. Because the E3D is 40Watts I would change the connector. You can certainly reuse the one for the thermistor though.

16. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Those will certainly work but the are quite bulky. It may also be a bit difficult to put the smaller wires into them but you could try. Make sure it is crimped so the strain is on the wired insulation and make sure the wires are secured so they don't end up breaking with the carriage movement.

17. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Ok cuz I wasn't sure if I HAD to use the wire for the thermistor they provided. So basically the only cord I'm changing the connector to is the wire for the heater correct? I bought a set with a variety of sizes....butt connectors and bullet disconnect pairs.

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Yes!

19. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Im stuck after making the changes in the environment

20. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Member

Nevermind Im good to go.....she prints AMAZING!!!! FIrst wood print was a success!!! 20141020_034719_resized.jpg

5 people like this.